Recent

Author Topic: Having problems at fpc's new installation  (Read 933 times)

Courier

Having problems at fpc's new installation
« on: July 11, 2023, 05:39:18 am »
Microsoft Windows11, fpc3.2.2 downloaded at https://www.freepascal.org/download.html, but constantly crashed when opening fp.exe.
I have tried to find solutions everywhere, e.g. compatible mode, and still, unable to tackle this problem. :'(

Besides, I had the same error when running FreeBasic1.10.0 at win10.So I doubt that probably the flaw of system compatibility accounted for this.Will it be a solution for me to change system back to win7, or to run it on the virtual machine of XP(Service Pack 3)?

dseligo

Re: Having problems at fpc's new installation
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 09:01:30 am »
What version of FPC did you install (Windows 32-bit or Windows 64-bit)?
What is exact error you are getting?
Does fpc.exe works?

I have it running on Windows 11 and have no problems.

Josh

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2023, 09:13:36 am »
Sounds like an AntiVirus program causing issues.
If you can exclude the folders and subfolders  for fpc,lazarus and your projects from being scanned.

There are many topics on AV's causing issues and not just with fpc/lazarus but any development software that generates executeable binaries libraries
The best way to get accurate information on the forum is to post something wrong and wait for corrections.

VTwin

• Former Turbo Pascal 3 user
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2023, 05:04:37 pm »
I have 3.2.2 running (with Lazarus) in VirtualBox on Windows 11, 7, and XP.

As noted:
fp.exe is not fpc.exe (but neither should crash).
Check the version you downloaded.
Maybe it is antivirus software.
Include full information, including AV and messages.

Keep at it, it will work!

“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” -Linus Torvalds

Free Pascal Compiler 3.2.2
macOS 12.1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit Cocoa M1)
Ubuntu 18.04.3: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)
Windows 7 Pro SP1: Lazarus 2.2.6 (64 bit on VBox)

Courier

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2023, 05:14:24 pm »
What version of FPC did you install (Windows 32-bit or Windows 64-bit)?
What is exact error you are getting?
Does fpc.exe works?

I have it running on Windows 11 and have no problems.

Thank for your help and guidance.I'm glad to hear that it wasn't because of the system compatibility.

1)I 'm pretty sure that I installed "fpc-3.2.2.win32.and.win64.exe", but when I opened the folder I found that it reads "i386-win32".Would that makes a difference?

2&3)The exact error is that I couldn't even run the "fp.exe". Everytime I double click it, a program window that was quite similar to "cmd.exe" appears, where there's a word reading “?Free Pascal IDE Version 1.0.12 [2021/05/15]”.And then the window closed. I couldn't even see the beginning page of FPC, just a white word on a black background.

TRon

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2023, 05:25:39 pm »
@courier:
Open a terminal window and start the fp executable manually using its full path. Starting it form a terminal window will output some detailed information on why it failed starting. Post the resulting output if possible.

Courier

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2023, 05:29:05 pm »
I have 3.2.2 running (with Lazarus) in VirtualBox on Windows 11, 7, and XP.

As noted:
fp.exe is not fpc.exe (but neither should crash).
Check the version you downloaded.
Maybe it is antivirus software.
Include full information, including AV and messages.

Keep at it, it will work!

Thank you for you sincere assistance.

1、Yes, I exactly distinguished fp.exe from fpc.exe, and though fp.exe continue to crash, it seems that fpc.exe works correctly.

2、I excluded the possibility of antivirus software.I excluded the folders and subfolders for fpc, closed all kinds of AV, including Windows Defender, and tried to run fp.exe, but in vain. :'(

Courier

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2023, 05:38:57 pm »
@courier:
Open a terminal window and start the fp executable manually using its full path. Starting it form a terminal window will output some detailed information on why it failed starting. Post the resulting output if possible.

Thank you for you help.

I start the fp.exe in the terminal window as what you suggested, and it seemed that it indeed run "sucessfully" because it didn't give any feedback afterwards. But after it shortly appears a window similar to cmd.exe with a word reading “?Free Pascal IDE Version 1.0.12 [2021/05/15]”, it closed itself......?

TRon

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2023, 06:39:04 pm »
Thank you for you help.
No problem. My bad in instructing. sorry for that.

Can you omit the "start" part (so opening a terminal and only invoking the line "D:\FPC\3.2.2\bin\i386-win32\fp.exe" without the quotes) ?

Start still tries to open the fp IDE using the GUI. Having said that and afaik start should have reported something back.

Note that if you have Windows 64-bit as Operating System that you indeed have installed the 32-bit compiler (i386-win32). Not that it should matter much though as windows can run both 32-bit and 64-bit executables on a 64-bit windows.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018