Recent

Author Topic: Any way to turn off "Backup" and "Lib" folder creation?  (Read 1856 times)

QEnnay

Any way to turn off "Backup" and "Lib" folder creation?
« on: November 05, 2021, 11:57:22 pm »
The Backup system seems to take it upon itself to restore stuff. Is there any way I can prevent that happening by it asking first if I want to restore something from Lib/Backup folders?

I sometimes find myself working on something I thought I had previously changed. I manually go into the Backup folder and find the previous file and sure enough there are the changes. I have no idea why an earlier file was selected to restore instead.

I don't always close Lazarus with a fully functional and stable version of code. When I start next day, I suspect it does some code checking and thinks I screwed yesterday up and need to start again with a previous file. Just a guess though.

How do I stop this behavior or at least get it to ask **if I want** something restored?
Linux-Mint 20.1 x64 + Cinnamon; Lenovo Flex 5 Ryzen 5 4500, 16GB memory
FPC: 3.2.0-1, Lazarus 2.0.12-0, all 64bit

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
Re: Any way to turn off "Backup" and "Lib" folder creation?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 01:02:33 am »
You can turn it off in Tools > Options > Environment - see pic.

I've never had it "restore stuff" ever across FreeBSD, macOS or Linux.
Lazarus 2.3, FPC 3.3.1 macOS 12.3.1 x86_64 Xcode 13.4
Lazarus 2.3, FPC 3.3.1 macOS 12.3.1 aarch64 Xcode 13.4

QEnnay

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 03:58:23 pm »
You can turn it off in Tools > Options > Environment - see pic.

Thanks for that

I've never had it "restore stuff" ever across FreeBSD, macOS or Linux.

I think it only happens under specific circumstances and I have no idea what they may be. And, it happens silently so one would have no idea if it has Restored or not.

I suspect during start up with "reload last project" set, it does a code-sanity-check and if it finds something wrong it restores stuff. I sometimes leave a couple of keyboard characters in the text that trigger a compile-error so can find where I was before shutting it down. On a new day, I hit [F9] and there I be. :)

Have you ever tried using  [shift]+[ctrl]+[c] when creating a new function or procedure. It does some form of code-sanity check and will do nothing unless it passes the test. I suspect it may be something similar for this silent Restore.
Linux-Mint 20.1 x64 + Cinnamon; Lenovo Flex 5 Ryzen 5 4500, 16GB memory
FPC: 3.2.0-1, Lazarus 2.0.12-0, all 64bit

ezlage

• GitHub
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 04:12:16 pm »
As Trev said, you can turn off backup. I use Lazarus with Git, so, I can restore whatever I want and I don't need the backup feature from Lazarus.
About the "lib" directory, you can do just like me, setting the test directory as the output place for compiling. Take a look at the attachments.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 05:43:57 pm by ezlage »

MarkMLl

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 05:27:11 pm »
I think it only happens under specific circumstances and I have no idea what they may be. And, it happens silently so one would have no idea if it has Restored or not.

I've not seen anything like that on Debian Linux /but/ it's possible for the IDE to get into a slightly confused mistake if the project paths include ../ or possibly symlinks. Watch out for a tab annotated (2) etc., I think that's inclined to happen if the IDE sees a compilation error.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

trev

• Global Moderator
  • Former Delphi 1-7, 10.2 user
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 12:18:09 am »
Have you ever tried using  [shift]+[ctrl]+[c] when creating a new function or procedure.

Not that I can recall - I spend my time manually typing code so that my brain can catch up :)
Lazarus 2.3, FPC 3.3.1 macOS 12.3.1 x86_64 Xcode 13.4
Lazarus 2.3, FPC 3.3.1 macOS 12.3.1 aarch64 Xcode 13.4

TinyPortal © 2005-2018