Recent

Author Topic: new MAC Arm Cpu  (Read 455 times)

axisdj

new MAC Arm Cpu
« on: June 22, 2020, 03:45:40 pm »
Hello Group,

Curious if anyone has insight on what is to come for mac Laptops and the ARM OS

What does this mean for apps written for MAC on lazarus?

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/24/21233661/macos-arm-processor-transition-apps-developers-catalyst-wwdc

Thanks

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
Re: new MAC Arm Cpu
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 03:59:18 pm »
See here.

axisdj

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 10:55:51 pm »
I found the link ( it did not work on click)

I still dont understand if a MacOS app that uses LCL now will be able to work in the new ARM based MacOS systems?

On a side note, what is the recommended way to create an IOS app with Lazarus? is it possible?

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 11:00:34 pm »
I still dont understand if a MacOS app that uses LCL now will be able to work in the new ARM based MacOS systems?

A new target aarch64-darwin is going to be introduced (the current aarch64-darwin which is for iOS will be renamed to aarch64-ios) and with Lazarus already supporting Cocoa there should be no problem now. Main problem will be that the main FPC macOS developer (Jonas Maebe) will require such a ARM macOS machine to develop and test the new port.

On a side note, what is the recommended way to create an IOS app with Lazarus? is it possible?

See here.

axisdj

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 11:11:31 pm »
Sorry for my ignorance, but I have tried to decipher the information on that site and I must be missing something.

Form what I have gathered iOS gui must be created with something else? core objectPascal code will run?

Any more plain English guidance for this?.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 11:20:12 pm »
I don't work with iOS, so I can't really help much with this, but as far as I could gather this describes how to setup the iOS compiler (though it is slightly outdated) and for Lazarus integration you might want to look at this and this. Again, I can't comment on how good this will work as I'm not using iOS.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018