Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus vs Java  (Read 36541 times)

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: Lazarus vs Java
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2012, 08:38:14 am »
Where can I download this Oberon 2 for Windows for free?
Two good compilers are XDS as pointed above and Oxford Oberon 2 Compiler, however as in Pascal, I prefer the one that is "pure". XDS compilers are self hosting, while Oxford one is written in OCaml (compiler) and C (RTS / RTL). Bluebottle / A2 compiler from ETH is actually the best (it's the only one implementing Active Oberon, and the new one named Fox compiler is blazing fast), but it requires the whole A2 system to run, since A2 has its own executable format that's incompatible with existing standards (e.g. PE / ELF). Your program must also be run from inside A2 system (despite the system boots in less than 5 seconds both on bare hardware or as an application).
this last one above may interest M. Leledumbo , for small devices... idk
I've already used it as my 3rd OS since 2009/2010, and also as an application on my other two OSes.

Blaazen

• POKE 54296,15
    • Eye-Candy Controls
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2012, 11:47:27 am »
 ;D Nice fake, but Jawa motocycles was not named by the island.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jawa_Motors
Lazarus 2.3.0 rmain-2_3-280-g5db1922e37 FPC 3.3.1 r40507 x86_64-linux-qt Chakra, Qt 4.8.7/5.13.2, Plasma 5.17.3
Lazarus 1.8.2 r57369 FPC 3.0.4 i386-win32-win32/win64 Wine 3.21

Try Eye-Candy Controls: https://sourceforge.net/projects/eccontrols/files/

evoshroom

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2012, 08:21:06 pm »
1. Aesthetics
Java controls are not native and look horrible on many platforms, such as the Mac.  On my Mac I will choose almost all other options before a Java application.

2. Speed
Java can be a lot slower and more bloated than Pascal.  This can matter, depending on what you are doing.  Java graphics can be slow.

3. Portability
Of course Java is extremely portable, but there are portability differences.  For example, if you wanted to write a command-line program for a Linux server Pascal could be a fine choice but Java might not be if you didn't have access to install the VM.

I'm sure there are reasons to choose Java over Pascal too, depending on what you are doing and what your personal preferences are.

gulyone

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2012, 08:36:51 pm »
Java = easy to learn if you come from C world , so lazy ppl can walk thru. I suppose that's the main reason of its fame. Who , nowadays , goes into deep optimizations , spares memories usage, knows ASM ? except oldies like me, used to keep in mind expensive cost of material, that is no more true today... lol

as I mentioned earlier on that post , when Java apeared , i considered it was a C++ bottlenecked sublanguage with only one paradigm - no Goodies in there ewww-  and not optimized at all , so I refused to get involved into that gas factory !

Straight in my boots , i will never want to know about Java ! I can swear it.

my guidelines to choose a language/compiler =

1 ) can it make daemons/drivers/services ? not only guided apps
2 ) is the compiled code native ?
3 ) has it libraries from 3rd parties and is it alive on the scene ?
4 ) can I have access to all optimization switches ?
5 ) can I mix ASM , compile thru ASM and keep these files to manually optimize later ?
6 ) is it multiplatform ?
7 ) is there an IDE , an easy to use one even for beginers ?
8 ) can I access databases ?
9 ) can I access networking ?
10)  can I create STANDALONE executables ? (very important)

and so far I know only one able to answer a YES to these constraints ;)

Free Pascal + Lazarus

other BS , i dont wana know about no more
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:41:55 pm by gulyone »

Leonor

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2012, 08:49:00 pm »
Hello, I use Lazarus to build my program for windows and Linux, the first time try in Java but I found better Lazarus and my program is faster than in java.  :)

Nebula

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2012, 12:19:36 am »
Wikipedia offers :
"Criticisms directed at Java include the implementation of generics[citation needed], the speed of Java,[34] the handling of unsigned numbers,[35] the implementation of floating-point arithmetic,[36] and a history of security vulnerabilities in the primary Java VM implementation HotSpot.[37]"

Only last month there was another Java security exploit vulnerability in the headlines. A software system that relies upon a large common framework installed on so many machines, is always going to be a risk if it's targeted by 'black hats'.

Plus it belongs to a private company that doesn't have too many fans, it seems, and from where I'm standing a Free Open Source solution smells a lot more appealing.

If you're happy with slow speed, scripting languages like Python and Ruby are popular, but it looks like a nightmare to rig up GUIs by hand. Every way I look at it, Lazarus and FPC are looking like a great bet.

It just needs to gain momentum, with good publicity to dispel the "obsolete teaching language" myth, and perhaps stand on its own two (four?) feet rather than get labelled as the poor man's Delphi substitute.
Newbie testing Lazarus v1.0 - very impressed
Win 7 at work, XP and Linux Mint at home.
It all started with a ZX80 on a b/w telly........
Code: [Select]
Uses Smiles, GoodHumour, WantsToHelp;
{ never liked C - curly brackets are for comments! }

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2012, 01:31:36 pm »
1. Aesthetics
Java controls are not native and look horrible on many platforms, such as the Mac.  On my Mac I will choose almost all other options before a Java application.

In general, it is harder to reach the outside world from inside Java. Java is its own island (pun intended)

motaz

• http://code.sd
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2012, 10:37:27 am »
There are two reasons make me choose Java instead of using Lazarus in some projects:

1. When the project needs a library that does not exist in Lazarus, such as SMPP library (for SMS connection with telecom)

2. When I work with a team of Java developers
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:46:51 am by motaz »

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2012, 03:47:48 pm »
There are two reasons make me choose Java instead of using Lazarus in some projects:
For me, there's only one: when my proposal to use Pascal is rejected and I can't escape :p

TinyPortal © 2005-2018