Recent

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Other / Re: A "leisure" question on Wirthian languages.
« Last post by Thaddy on Today at 04:31:05 pm »
llvm as such is not a high level language although it is a step above assembler since the same llvm intermediate code can target many platforms with the same code.(in theory)
One thing I did not try yet is to look if I can compile the compiler itself to the llvm backend and back. That would remove the question mark...
Also, although clang is required, that is basically for the toolchain. As far I understand from Jonas, the principal author,  clang itself is not used. That in itself is reason to remove the question mark in my opinion.
The requirement to install clang may have put the "question marker" on the wrong foot here.
Graphics / Re: Your best UI design - contest
« Last post by lainz on Today at 04:19:59 pm »
Basically any design can be done with bgrabitmap and bgracontrols with svg!
Beginners / Re: Program loop "runaway" while waiting on keyboard inputs
« Last post by Handoko on Today at 04:19:19 pm »
Thaddy is right, what new2thisagain395 needs is an Application.ProcessMessages.

I am not good in explaining it but here I provide some examples:
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,65319.msg497638.html#msg497638
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,44416.msg312238.html#msg312238
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,43806.msg307101.html#msg307101

Download the demos in the links above, run them and run them again but after removing the line "Application.ProcessMessages;". Then you should know the differences and understand when to use it.
General / Re: Slight improvement for lazbuild
« Last post by JuhaManninen on Today at 04:18:11 pm »
I applied the 2. and 3. patch. Thanks.
Is removing --get-target-file necessary? It may be used by some people and it does not harm others.
Bgracontrols has tbcpanel with gradients.
General / Re: Ribbon bar in Lazarus 3.2.2
« Last post by lainz on Today at 03:58:42 pm »
Actually bgracontrols doesn't have a ribbon control. But a demo ribbon made with panels and buttons.
« Last post by marcov on Today at 03:49:31 pm »
So, why FPC on llvm?

Academic curiosity and hedging bets in case Apple makes it mandatory for some of its targets.  So it is a side track, not the main track.,
« Last post by EventHorizon on Today at 03:45:23 pm »
Yet Rust was designed to compete with C, not C++. By the way,
Weird... it is more like a C++ competitor I think -at least in practice (?)

Microsoft can probably afford to create a tool for C (or even C++) that would check the source code for potential problems/pitfalls with pointers. If such a tool appeared, Rust would become completely redundant.
THAT would be very funny  :P

Zig or V may be interesting, but only interesting (and that's not enough for them to become popular). And Nim is completely "redundant". We know what is needed to popularize a programming language that is "redundant". Just look at the history with Java and C#. The latter was completely "redundant" when it was created. However, Microsoft's management decided to "buy his popularity" and achieved their goal (although it cost a huge amount of money and time). And it has been "not redundant" for several years now.
...and tries to repeat the same story with F# (vs OCaml) in the Functional World.
« Last post by EventHorizon on Today at 03:42:05 pm »
Visual lab great post as always  :)
Agree!
« Last post by EventHorizon on Today at 03:41:29 pm »
Freepascal can compile itself.
So, why FPC on llvm?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

TinyPortal © 2005-2018