Recent

Author Topic: How to add a new user to the firebird? HELP!!!  (Read 17152 times)

abmservice

How to add a new user to the firebird? HELP!!!
« on: July 21, 2010, 07:46:50 pm »
How to add a new user to the firebird?
Lazarus and the software - supposedly the firebirdAPI I do not know how?

Troodon

Lazarus/FPC on Linux

abmservice

Re: How to add a new user to the firebird? HELP!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 06:15:01 am »
I am not an advanced programmer and suggestions so please. if someone did something similar?

JD

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 07:41:22 am »
I am not an advanced programmer and suggestions so please. if someone did something similar?

I would suggest that you use a GUI database management tool such as the free IBExpert Personal Edition http://ibexpert.net/ibe/index.php?n=Main.PersonalEdition to help with managing Firebird databases. It is a much better alternative than using command line DOS commands that are required to create tables, add users, run sql queries etc. It will save you a lot of time & headaches.
Windows - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe),
Linux Mint - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe)

mORMot; Zeos 8; SQLite, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView

Lacak2

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 07:47:55 am »
Starting from Firebird 2.5 there is SQL statement "CREATE USER"
Before 2.5 you must use Services API call (fbclient.dll) with isc_action_svc_add_user ...
look at above mentioned http://www.firebirdsql.org/?op=doc#category_9 and there at "InterBase 6.0 Manuals" / "API Guide"

or try googling for "isc_action_svc_add_user" ;-)

JD

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 09:14:19 am »
You can use the gsec utility

http://www.firebirdsql.org/manual/qsg2-config.html

The text below was taken from the website above
Code: [Select]
Adding Firebird user accounts

Firebird allows the creation of many different user accounts. Each of them can own databases and also have various types of access to databases and database objects it doesn't own.

Using gsec, you can add a user account as follows from the command line in the Firebird bin subdirectory:

gsec -user sysdba -pass masterkey -add billyboy -pw sekrit66

Provided that you've supplied the correct password for SYSDBA, a user account called billyboy will now have been created with password sekrit66. Remember that passwords are case-sensitive.

abmservice

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 04:24:03 pm »
IBExpert know:)
gsec also know:)
But I wanted to do it in a Lazarus in the application-no, and succeeded. isc_add_user gds32.dll library. I have to play around with the editing and even deleting. I do not like half-measures.

firebird and application written in Lazarus works already implemented in a large Polish company. Database after 15 days is already 63 MB. Spent a day is about 1,000 documents. A server is a Core2Quad and 5-positions of the client. Lazarus and Firebird are more and more fascinating. So I consider the Polish site devoted to this subject.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 04:37:44 pm by abmservice »

JD

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 09:22:33 pm »
firebird and application written in Lazarus works already implemented in a large Polish company. Database after 15 days is already 63 MB. Spent a day is about 1,000 documents. A server is a Core2Quad and 5-positions of the client. Lazarus and Firebird are more and more fascinating. So I consider the Polish site devoted to this subject.

Sweet music to my ears. Let's keep writing serious applications using Lazarus. Object Pascal is alive & well.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018