Forum > Jobs

OpenPoker Conversion from Delphi

(1/3) > >>

quasimotoca:
Hi:

Is any one up for helping me convert the Delphi-based OpenPoker project to Lazarus?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openpoker/

Cheers,
Dave

marcov:
It would be more helpful if you posted a list of dependancies (external pkgs used by the project, and non base components used in the project).

This because when Delphi porting (specially when the result must be portable), this is where the main problems lie.

quasimotoca:
Thanks for the reply, yes you're very correct on that one, It uses a number of third-party external components and it makes use of Borland VCL components as well. The run-time VCL items required are as follows:

dbrtl70.bpl
dsnap70.bpl
GR32_D6.bpl
GR32_DSGN_D6.bpl
inet70.bpl
mxOutlookBar_D6.bpl
rtl70.bpl
soaprtl70.bpl
vcl70.bpl
vcljpg70.bpl
vclsmp70.bpl
vclx70.bpl
xmlrtl70.bpl

The third party components (with source) are as follows:

BS Morph Button
FatMemo
G32
HitsoftTrackBarButton
mxOutlook
PDPCheckBox
RegExp
TrayIcon (CoolTrayIcon)

The initial part of this exercise is to see if there is a sufficient number of Lazarus components available to replace the above items and make the application truly portable.

BTW: I have it up and running in Delphi 6 so the code base works.

If this looks doable by a cursory review from a Lazarus expert then I would like to proceed with hiring a person to help me convert it.  It will be the initial project for a larger Open Gaming Foundation I'm starting.

Cheers,
Dave

marcov:

--- Quote from: quasimotoca on May 16, 2010, 12:32:54 pm ---Thanks for the reply, yes you're very correct on that one, It uses a number of third-party external components and it makes use of Borland VCL components as well. The run-time VCL items required are as follows:

--- End quote ---

First: FPC/Lazarus doesn't support packages, and won't for the forseeable future.

--- Quote ---dbrtl70.bpl
dsnap70.bpl

--- End quote ---

Datasnap is not support, and probably never will be in a compatible form. Such frameworks are so complex that we can't readily infer the framework from apps that use it (with a bit of searching on the web for published documentation). This contrary to the VCL where one has the documented Win32 API abilities as a guideline, knowning that VCL is mostly only a thin wrapper.

Database related functionality is partially different, but you might not use that directly.

--- Quote ---GR32_D6.bpl
GR32_DSGN_D6.bpl
inet70.bpl

--- End quote ---

If inet are the old Borland TTCPServer components, then this is not supported too, merge to Indy. I'm not sure about GR32, but if it is what I think, it is portable to Lazarus, but only to win32.

--- Quote ---mxOutlookBar_D6.bpl

--- End quote ---

Obviously windows only.

--- Quote ---rtl70.bpl
soaprtl70.bpl
vcl70.bpl
vcljpg70.bpl
vclsmp70.bpl
vclx70.bpl
xmlrtl70.bpl

--- End quote ---

Soap and xml are different, don't know what vclsmp does

--- Quote ---The third party components (with source) are as follows:

BS Morph Button
FatMemo
G32
HitsoftTrackBarButton
mxOutlook
PDPCheckBox
RegExp
TrayIcon (CoolTrayIcon)

--- End quote ---

Most will only port to Windows, but probably are not that big a deal.

For now I'd try to cut down the GUI (to use more basic components), and then tackle other, more fundamental problems (datasnap,database, internet and XML/Soap components) first.

--- Quote ---The initial part of this exercise is to see if there is a sufficient number of Lazarus components available to replace the above items and make the application truly portable.

BTW: I have it up and running in Delphi 6 so the code base works.

If this looks doable by a cursory review from a Lazarus expert then I would like to proceed with hiring a person to help me convert it.  It will be the initial project for a larger Open Gaming Foundation I'm starting.

--- End quote ---

(I'm not available btw)

quasimotoca:
That's great information and gives me some good starting points. I'm definitely going to scale down the GUI to more compatible components.  Not to put you on the spot or anything but does your gut tell you that this is a doable?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version