Forum > General

Is Lazarus good choice?

<< < (2/5) > >>

LazaruX:
Don't expect anybody on this forum to tell you Lazarus is the wrong choice ;-)
Test it and you will see if its a good choice. For sure for crossplatforms solutions, Lazarus/FPC is the best answer available.

George:
I didn't say that Lazarus is bad choice. My question was rather about hidden pitfalls and possible problems that I, newbe, do not know. Besides it is well known that small application and complex system from software engineering point of view belong to different worlds. I'd like to get to know opinion from people who developed in Lazarus any complex database system. As programmer I was brought up on Turbo Pascal and my tropism towards Lazarus and FPC is obvious, however the last decade I had used (and was spoilt by) Visual FoxPro as my favorite and very comfortable IDE.

zakwas:

--- Quote from: Wodzu on March 29, 2010, 09:40:16 am ---It is a hard choice. I suggest you, install LazReport, install a good package for DBComponents (does Zeos supports Firebird?) spend few days for and test features.

--- End quote ---

Yes, Zeos supports Firebird very well. But, does anybody complain about "native" lazarus db components?

Leledumbo:

--- Quote ---My question was rather about hidden pitfalls and possible problems that I, newbe, do not know
--- End quote ---
Hmm... there are actually those things when you come to cross platform programming (not just Lazarus). Most likely in Lazarus is that when you've finished designing one form on one platform, it would look ugly on others if you don't use autosizing / layout. Next is the code itself, never access platform specific API directly. Look for cross platform solution (read the docs!), or if it doesn't exist, make a platform independent layer first and use it from there.

--- Quote ---But, does anybody complain about "native" lazarus db components?
--- End quote ---
Nope, both SqlDb and Zeos are good, you just need to know which one to use for your needs.

Wodzu:

--- Quote from: Leledumbo on March 29, 2010, 12:28:13 pm ---
--- Quote ---But, does anybody complain about "native" lazarus db components?
--- End quote ---
Nope, both SqlDb and Zeos are good, you just need to know which one to use for your needs.

--- End quote ---

Well, actually yes. There is a problem with autoincrement field:

http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,8920.msg43487.html#msg43487

That is why I've mentioned Zeos on the first place. Current implementation of TSQLQuery has this bug. And I detected it only by setting up a very very basic DB example. It is strange that nobody noticed it sooner.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version