Recent

Author Topic: I feel clueless.......  (Read 4296 times)

captian jaster

I feel clueless.......
« on: March 25, 2010, 02:25:33 am »
I decided after reading Essential Pascal i was ready to start a Application.I looked at some examples and said : WTF!!!
I dont know alot of this.... Actions DBF file access?
What other things should i read or could someone answer some questions.

I started a random project(GUI) and wanted to make it that i pressed a button something happened..(A text would show up not in a new window) On the form as soon as i opened the program the text was there. so do i have to have a form for every part of my program?

Whats an Action ?

Thnx

Troodon

Re: I feel clueless.......
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 03:15:27 am »
Man, you are not listening. Essential Pascal is about the Object Pascal language. Essential Delphi is about developing GUI programs for Windows in Object Pascal. Look at this:

Code: [Select]
Chapter 1: A Form Is a Window ...8
Creating Your First Form...8
Adding a Title...9
Saving the Form...10
Using Components...10
Changing Properties...11
Responding to Events...13
Compiling and Running a Program...16
Changing Properties at Run-Time...18
Adding Code to the Program

To answer your last question, an Action is what a component in your application does when a specific event associated with it is triggered, by the user or by another program. For example, what happens (=action; method, procedure, code-to-execute) when you click (=event) on a button (=component).

Create a new Lazarus/FPC application project, hit F12 to swich to the form view, add a button to the (main) form, click on it, go to the Object Inspector, clich the Events tab, click the ellipsis button next to the OnClick event, it will take you to the Editor view and, in the body of the TForm1.Button1Click method (=action), type: ShowMessage('Success!'); Then build and run this application, click Button1, see what happens.

To show text in a "window" use a TMemo component and add text to it using the Add() method of its Lines property: when you click Button1 do a Memo1.Lines.Add('<your text here>'); Examine the properties and methods of the TMemo object in the Object Inspector and in the Help system to learn more about it.

But your questions are proof of an oustanding issue: the best open source software still needs documentation for both entry level and advanced users in order to be successful. What I mean is, IMO every open-source project should have dedicated documentation editors as writing and keeping the documentation up-to-date can be as time-consuming as developing the software.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 03:42:58 am by Troodon »
Lazarus/FPC on Linux

JanRoza

• http://www.silentwings.nl
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 07:16:00 am »
Just look in the Team section of this forum (http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,8907.0.html), there's an example of the documentation you mean: a complete book about Lazarus and Free Pascal. Only problem is that is only available in German at the moment. Translated to English I think this should be the ideal promotor for Lazarus/Free Pascal.

:)
Jan
Laz: Lazarus 2.2.4 FPC 3.2.2
       CodeTyphon 8.0 FPC 3.3.1

captian jaster

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 04:49:03 pm »
Thanks, i know that essential pascal is for Object Pascal
I didnt know about Essential Delphi. ima study both books for awhile so Thnx!

TinyPortal © 2005-2018