Recent

Author Topic: New Visual Components for Lazarus  (Read 19321 times)

Mike James

New Visual Components for Lazarus
« on: February 05, 2010, 10:52:36 am »
Hi All,

Is there a wishlist somewhere that lists visual components that would be useful to add to Lazarus. It would be a good guide to people (like me) that would like to contribute to the project without creating another TLED component  :D

Regards, Mike.

zeljko

• http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User:Zeljan
Re: New Visual Components for Lazarus
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 05:18:12 pm »
TLCDNumber ? :) ... component from CLX

davesimplewear

• Davids Freeware
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 01:23:18 am »
try Packages/General in the forum
All things considered insanity seems the best option

mattias

• Administrator
    • http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 02:28:48 am »
For UML modelling and class browser a control is needed that shows classes, including properties and methods and the connections between them. It should support showing hundreds or even a thousand classes.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 08:58:47 am »
For UML modelling and class browser a control is needed that shows classes, including properties and methods and the connections between them. It should support showing hundreds or even a thousand classes.

Mattias, do you mean a graphical diagram generator?
It would make a class diagram from a set of classes.

Juha
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 10:32:26 am »
I'm (re)porting* EssModel, it has diagram generator for Delphi and Java files. Perhaps needs enhancements here and there.

*) I've already ported using old style resources, but it's not so stable, tested on win32 and lin32. I'm re-porting using the new style resources (seems to be easier).

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 11:52:49 am »
I'm (re)porting* EssModel, it has diagram generator for Delphi and Java files. Perhaps needs enhancements here and there.

*) I've already ported using old style resources, but it's not so stable, tested on win32 and lin32. I'm re-porting using the new style resources (seems to be easier).

Interesting. I was looking for such reverse engineering UML (or just class diagram) tools but didn't find EssModel. UMLGraph looks interesting although it is made with Java. It uses an external Graphviz program to create a nice graphics layout.

How does EssModel deal with graphical layout of complex diagrams? I guess it is easy to create a messy diagram but a nice layout needs a complicated algorithm.

The download link gave me an exe file. I will find the sources later.
Did you try the latest Delphi converter from Lazarus trunk for this project?
Are you going to publish the port somewhere?

Juha

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 12:37:31 pm »
Ok, I improved the Delphi converter so it replaces also the Kylix Q* unit names (removes the 'Q'). EssModel converts nicely now. It is not fully automatic though, still there is much manual work with Windows / Kylix specific functions.

Juha

Leledumbo

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 02:05:22 pm »
How does EssModel deal with graphical layout of complex diagrams? I guess it is easy to create a messy diagram but a nice layout needs a complicated algorithm.
If you've downloaded the source, try reverse engine the project itself and see such nice layout (there are A LOT of classes but they all look nice, no overlapping occured).
Ok, I improved the Delphi converter so it replaces also the Kylix Q* unit names (removes the 'Q'). EssModel converts nicely now.
OK, it looks like I don't have to continue mine (it's not far yet anyway), continue yours and post it somewhere please (I have no domain, so I can't post it myself. If I have to, I'll use google code), I'll help from my earlier experience.
It is not fully automatic though, still there is much manual work with Windows / Kylix specific functions.
It's not that much. Only some metafile, SHBrowseForFolder function, external png handler, and omni_xml. I remove all metafile related things since LCL doesn't have cross platform capability yet (a Windows-only package is available in Lazarus-CCR, it uses Windows API). The SHBrowseForFolder can be replaced by TSelectDirectoryDialog. External png handler can be removed, and with the current capability of TBitmap, we can even support more image types. The quite difficult one probably omni_xml. Though we can use units from fcl-xml, the way it's used must be different. So we need to adapt it.

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 04:40:00 pm »
I know it isn't "visual", but pasdoc generates "inheritance trees"(*) of classes and interfaces.

(*) Sorry, I'm not English. What's the correct expression?
Are you interested in game programming? Join the Pascal Game Development community!
Also visit the Game Development Portal

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 08:26:32 am »
@Leledumbo, do you know anything about EssModel developers? Would they be interested in Lazarus support for their code?

Juha

Leledumbo

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 09:14:36 am »
@Leledumbo, do you know anything about EssModel developers? Would they be interested in Lazarus support for their code?
Last time I email them to ask for permission in porting it, they don't reply at all. It's GPLed anyway, so I don't think I need to.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 11:49:26 am »
Last time I email them to ask for permission in porting it, they don't reply at all. It's GPLed anyway, so I don't think I need to.

Seems like a dead project. I looked the the project's SourceForge page. Statistics didn't show any write activity, ever! It must be an error, there are files after all. The history starts from year 2002. Also "code commits" for the 2 authors didn't show anything. The latest post in forums was from year 2006.

It would be more useful to revive such a project instead of forking it. However it uses CVS which I am not very happy about (see, I am from the same country as Linus Torvalds). I already have an account for GitHub. I would use that if I start to maintain this port.

Juha

Zaher

• parmaja.org
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 03:11:10 pm »
TLCDNumber ? :) ... component from CLX

Try
http://sourceforge.net/projects/minilib
dir
/minilib/Lazarus/components/native/ntvDotMatrix.pas

dtoffe

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 04:34:04 pm »
Hi,

Here is "my" wishlist...  :D

Some time ago I started a small Lazarus project, a lan messenger for our intranet. I collected some examples in Visual Basic 6, all of them using WinSocket component easily available in VB.
    Then I tried Indy port for Lazarus (could not install, forum says it works from trunk), LNet (also couldn't install) and another contributed sockets package which only provides client, not server.
    It would be really nice to have good sockets components available and already packaged in the default Lazarus installer.
    BTW, Lazarus has improved a lot in recent times, I agree with some recent post about how some PR could increase adoption.
    Congrats for the good work !!

Cheers,

Daniel

Hi All,

Is there a wishlist somewhere that lists visual components that would be useful to add to Lazarus. It would be a good guide to people (like me) that would like to contribute to the project without creating another TLED component  :D

Regards, Mike.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018