Recent

Author Topic: Does this mean WinCE is not dead?  (Read 8933 times)

LA.Center

• LA.Center
Does this mean WinCE is not dead?
« on: May 14, 2012, 10:17:30 pm »
Maybe late news but I found out today that WinCE will be renamed to Windows Embedded 7 and 5,6 will be fully supported.

Now I was assuming that WinCE will die after Windows Phone 7 OS came out but does this now mean WinCE is getting back on track?

What do you think?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/campaigns/compact7/default.aspx

Sternas Stefanos

• Ex Pilot, M.Sc, Ph.D
    • http://www.pilotlogic.com
Re: Does this mean WinCE is not dead?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 06:56:46 am »
I think, this is an old MS project now.
MS select to promote/release Phone 7 and now Windows 8 for ARM.

It's the BIG MS "Waterloo" on mobile OSes.

CodeTyphon Architect and Programmer

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 08:04:34 am »
They probably realized that they would never sell their .NET crap to barcode scanner producers and other hardware producers and that those would migrate to Linux if they don't keep investing in WinCE.

But anyway, it is clear that it is limited to industrial applications and to those specialized machines. It looses a lot of the value of investing in the platform if it is not used in smartphones.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 09:43:28 am »
Maybe late news but I found out today that WinCE will be renamed to Windows Embedded 7 and 5,6 will be fully supported.

Now I was assuming that WinCE will die after Windows Phone 7 OS came out but does this now mean WinCE is getting back on track?

It only died for end consumers. Many industrial barcoder scanners etc still use wince afaik. Actually, those are the interesting applications, since the various Phone OSes are increasingly difficult to get code on.

bambamns

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 08:39:46 pm »
Yeah,

Motorola, PSION, Intermec , Opticon .. and many more product are still on Windows Mobile and WinCE.
There are a lot of WMS, POS and other software in many companies in use and it will be.
Lazarus 1.8.4 + FPC 2.6.4 x86 (rebuild) and Lazarus 2.0, Windows 7 x64, unless otherwise specified

TinyPortal © 2005-2018