Recent

Author Topic: [Solved] Firebird installation problems on Ubuntu  (Read 35139 times)

Dibo

[Solved] Firebird installation problems on Ubuntu
« on: January 16, 2010, 12:12:38 pm »
Hi,
My favorite database on Windows was the Firebird. Simple to install, no configuration. But installation Firebird on Ubuntu is a nightmare. When I try to install version 2.0 or 2.1 with Synaptic, I have dependency errors at the end of the installation packages. So I decided to install version directly from the FireBird page. I downloaded RPM version and converted to DEB using the ALIEN. The installation went without problems. I see the installed package in Synaptic but I'm not entirely convinced that Firebird running. I installed FlameRobin (the SQL manager for FireBird). When I try to connect to the database I have this error:

*** IBPP::SQLException ***
Context: Database::Connect

SQL Message : -902
Unsuccessful execution caused by a system error that precludes
successful execution of subsequent statements

Engine Code    : 335544721
Engine Message :
Unable to complete network request to host "localhost".
Failed to establish a connection.
Connection refused

Regards
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:06:27 pm by Dibo »

clauslack

Re: Firebird installation problems on Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 02:50:55 pm »
What version do you intall?

First
Check if Firebird is running...
Code: [Select]
xxx@xxxx:~$ ps aux|grep fbserver
"show that ->"
firebird 1488 13.2 1.9 113228 19660 ? Jan03 2392:33 /opt/fb21ss/bin/fbserver

or
the listen port 3050
xxx@xxxx:~$ netstat -an | grep 3050
"show that ->"
tcp  0  0   0.0.0.0:3050       0.0.0.0:*    LISTEN

- check firebird.log
xxx@xxxx:~$ cat /opt/fb21ss/firebird.log

If not running, try to run (maybe as root, for test)
/opt/fb21ss/bin/fbserver
or
/etc/rc.d/rc.firebird start

and look the errors.

Maybe you have diferents paths(/opt/firebird)

Regards

Dibo

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 07:07:09 pm »
What version do you intall?
2.1.3 for 64bit Linux
Check if Firebird is running or the listen port 3050
Netstat does not show nothing ont this port so I think that the Firebird server is not running.
If not running, try to run (maybe as root, for test)
/opt/fb21ss/bin/fbserver
or
/etc/rc.d/rc.firebird start
I don't have this files :( . In /opt/firebird/bin I have only:
changeDBAPassword.sh
changeGdsLibraryCompatibleLink.sh
changeRunUser.sh
createAliasDB.sh
fb_config
fb_inet_server
fb_lock_mgr
fb_lock_print
fbsvcmgr
gbak
gdef
gds_drop
gfix
gpre
gsec
gsplit
gstat
isql
nbackup
qli
restoreRootRunUser.sh

When I try to connect to the database with Flamerobin, in the log appears lines:
xxx-xxxx-xxx (Client)   Sat Jan 16 18:19:00 2010
   INET/inet_error: connect errno = 111

Maybe converted RPM file is badly installed?

gandergz

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 07:58:58 pm »
1 - During installation, a new user called firebird is created.
2 - All action FB do is performed by that user
3 - You must (as root) give read/write rights for that user in some directory (the recomended is /var/firebird)
4 - From now, you can use Flamerobin in order to create databeses etc.
5 - Optionally (but strongly recommended) edit aliases.conf in the /opt/firebird directory and create some new alias
6 - Read the release notes.

clauslack

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 09:21:43 pm »
You install the Firebird Classic Server.
Look at
http://www.firebirdsql.org/manual/qsg2-classic-or-super.html

This use inetd or xinetd for run.

If you choose classic, try to install
FirebirdCS-2.1.3.XXXX.i686.tar.gz, this come with an install.sh script.
Maybe the RPM not installed fine.

Or SuperServer Version, this run standalone, tar.gz come with install.sh script too.

Regards.

Dibo

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 09:55:53 pm »
Ehh ... I am not an advanced user of ubuntu. I ran the second computer on which I have ubuntu too. Firebird installed from the repository without any bugs, everything works beautifully. Something spoiled on the first computer and I do not know how to now clean up. It began when I saw that synaptic have old version of firebird. So, I downloaded the .tar from the firebird page, and I tried to install manually by running the attached script. I received some errors so I decided get back. Only after that I decided to install an older version from the repository but I have dependencies errors when installing packages. I do not know how to unscrew everything now. I cleared cache /apt-get and /tmp directory, but nothing helped. I try again with install.sh script

EDIT: Eureka!! :D . The whole cause has been on the version of Linux. I have amd64bit. I tried again to install the version from Firebird page using install.sh. Carefully read error messages. I had an error "error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: can not open shared object file: No such file or directory". In Synaptic I found only version libstdc++.so.6 (probably this is the reason of crashed installation from the repository with depending errors). In google I found another person that had the same error message and a 64-bit versions of ubuntu, but there was no information to solve the problem. I search for .DEB packages of libstdc++.so.5 version and installed it (http://packages.debian.org/lenny/amd64/libstdc++5/download). Now install.sh script installed and executed without any problems. Netstat found Firebird on port 3050, FlameRobin connects to the database. It is too beautiful :P. But it cost me a whole Saturday. Aaaa and curiosity. I had a base which I crated on windows. FlameRobin throwing permission error to access to the file. I had to assign the owner to Firebird user (thanks gandergz for information about Firebird user, I quickly connected this problem with your information). I hope that this issue be useful to other users 64-bit computers. Thanks to everyone for help and motivation to solve the problem and sorry for my English.
Regards
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:06:01 pm by Dibo »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018