Recent

Author Topic: Wince UI - LCL vs KOL  (Read 12325 times)

Dibo

Wince UI - LCL vs KOL
« on: December 28, 2009, 10:13:29 pm »
Hi,
Looking for the best solution for WinCE. I test LCL and KOL.
LCL
(http://i48.tinypic.com/2luxj5v.png)
1. Why does the Control Reference appear strange artifacts? Frankly these controls are a bit ugly :/
2. Size ~1.9 MB :/
KOL
(http://i45.tinypic.com/i2m6vq.png)
1. All of controls are nicely drawn and clean.
2. Not enough components to choose from
3. Size ~190 KB

Is there another way to write an efficient program for WinCE with the native controls and a small output file? I read a little about Qt, wxWidgets, and codeblocks but all of these frameworks require external libraries. Does WinCE have one of these frameworks? What size are wxWidgets library?

Regards

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: Wince UI - LCL vs KOL
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 04:34:20 am »
Is there another way to write an efficient program for WinCE with the native controls and a small output file?
In Lazarus / FPC, AFAIK KOL is the best.
I read a little about Qt, wxWidgets, and codeblocks but all of these frameworks require external libraries.
Believe me, all of them create MUCH larger and slower (esp. Qt) executables. And even so, the executables still depend on external libraries! Nuts...

Btw, CodeBlocks isn't a framework, it's an IDE built on top of wxWidgets.
Does WinCE have one of these frameworks?
I believe WinCE doesn't use any of them (would Microsoft do?). But if you ask whether they work on WinCE, you should ask in their forum.
What size are wxWidgets library?
Err... you better download it to see yourself.

Dibo

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 08:47:46 am »
Thanks Leledumbo for information. So I stay with LCL and KOL, but do you have any solution for this artifacts in LCL (first picture)? Must I enable some dublebuffering? Am I doing something wrong?

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 01:57:03 pm »
Thanks Leledumbo for information. So I stay with LCL and KOL, but do you have any solution for this artifacts in LCL (first picture)? Must I enable some dublebuffering? Am I doing something wrong?

Can you describe it exactly what the problem is? I see that your TEdit is too small, you should make it bigger.

About the TPageControl, you need to put a Panel in it to mark it's contents. Microsoft simply made their control not draw it's border =( But it's trivial to solve, just put a TPanel inside the page, like here is shown:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Windows_CE_Development_Notes#Tab_Controls_.28TPageControl.29

But I can investigate about forcing it to draw the border.

Dibo

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 09:29:41 pm »
Thanks for trick with TPageControl, but still something is wrong with these controls. TEdit for example. Border control have some strange "stains" (changing size doesn't help) and when hint pop up then control has trouble with repaint. I'm just in process of writing my own classes based on WinAPI, something like pkMiniGUI.pas (unfortunately can't compile, the code is probably already old)

Paul Breneman

• Control Pascal
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 03:41:53 pm »
You might also consider using fpGUI for WinCE.  I just posted three patched files to the fpGUI newsgroup.  Now the latest fpGUI works on a Symbol MC1000 barcode scanner but fpGUI will probably need a bit more work for other WinCE systems with color screens or updated features.
Regards,
Paul Breneman
www.ControlPascal.com

Dibo

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 07:28:35 pm »
It seems interesting. But Lazarus doesn't start after installing fpGUI (I'm using instructions from wiki)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018