Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus tries to load and disappears  (Read 30825 times)

davidshepherd

Lazarus tries to load and disappears
« on: December 13, 2009, 04:15:40 am »
Argh...  Had Laz working on my macbookpro, but my hd died, so installed a new one, reinstalled 10.4 and updated it to 10.4.11.

Downloaded Laz, installed, but when it tries to start, the icon flashes on the dock and disappears. (laz .9.26.2-i386  and fpc 2.2.2-i386)

I don't even know where to begin because I'm fairly new to the mac (don't pick on me, I've been with pc's since 82, longer than some of you dudes have been alive).

Now it's probably messed up in that  I see files hanging around after I tried to uninstall, so...   help!

Why it no worky..  any ideas?

davidshepherd

Re: Lazarus tries to load and disappears
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 04:21:53 am »
Oh, the fun part is, when I try to reinstall, it complains that there is a newer version already installed (not true... same version, and I took it out of apps)...  THEN, when it warns it will overwrite, it DOESN'T, but says...

You can't continue, there is nothing to install.

Hmm.... 

(and yeah, I downloaded laz several times to see if something got corrupted)

Also tried to install it with fink, which REALLY seems to have messed things up.

kamischi

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 12:34:13 pm »
Just to make sure: did you also install the Developer tools, i.e. Xcode? If so, check /usr/local and your home directory for traces of fpc and lazarus. Fink doesn't  help in this case, because it works in a completely separate tree of directories and does not touch anything outside.

Mischi
fpc 2.6.4, lazarus 1.4.0, Mac OS X, fink

Jonas Maebe

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 01:46:33 pm »
Argh...  Had Laz working on my macbookpro, but my hd died, so installed a new one, reinstalled 10.4 and updated it to 10.4.11.

Downloaded Laz, installed, but when it tries to start, the icon flashes on the dock and disappears. (laz .9.26.2-i386  and fpc 2.2.2-i386)
Why are you using such old versions? I seem to remember that the problem you mention was solved in the latest Lazarus version (0.9.28.x). FPC is also at 2.2.4 (soon at 2.4.0).

If I remember correctly, you could world around the problem by starting Lazarus from the command line using
  /Applications/Lazarus.app/Contents/MacOS/lazarus

I don't even know where to begin because I'm fairly new to the mac
You can probably see some diagnostic information by opening /Applications/Utilities/Console.app and looking at the system log.

Phil

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 05:55:56 pm »
Why are you using such old versions? I seem to remember that the problem you mention was solved in the latest Lazarus version (0.9.28.x). FPC is also at 2.2.4 (soon at 2.4.0).

You can probably see some diagnostic information by opening /Applications/Utilities/Console.app and looking at the system log.

I believe there was an issue where Intel Mac builds of Lazarus would not work on Intel Mac running 10.4 because of the way it was linked against version 7 of libiconv.2.dylib - 10.4 only has version 5.

0.9.28.2 is still linked against version 7, as is my build of Lazarus from SVN, so I'm not sure that this has been fixed.

Thanks.

-Phil

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 10:52:21 pm »

I believe there was an issue where Intel Mac builds of Lazarus would not work on Intel Mac running 10.4 because of the way it was linked against version 7 of libiconv.2.dylib - 10.4 only has version 5.

0.9.28.2 is still linked against version 7, as is my build of Lazarus from SVN, so I'm not sure that this has been fixed.

Doesn't that depend on the buildsystem/used SDK rather than the source itself? Or is it a dynamic load?

Phil

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 11:30:59 pm »

Doesn't that depend on the buildsystem/used SDK rather than the source itself? Or is it a dynamic load?

You might search the forum on this topic for previous discussion.

Thanks.

-Phil

davidshepherd

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 07:12:49 am »

Thanks.

-Phil

Trying to answer everyone...   I used the 'older' version, because my research showed it was the last version that would work with osx 10.4

Yes, I did try newer version, just for fun.

Phil, thanks, if that's true, it's bad news. I can't afford to upgrade to 10.5. I'd have to pirate, and I don't feel right about that.

As for searching the forum, yup, did that. It's why I asked. Didn't see it anywhere.

If anyone has Laz working on 10.4, PLEASE let me know how you did it.

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 07:25:00 am »
Quote from: davidshepherd link=topic=8151.msg39055#msg39055

Trying to answer everyone...   I used the 'older' version, because my research showed it was the last version that would work with osx 10.4
Carbon widgetset (as well as Lazarus) is maintained to be 10.4 compatible.
If you tried the newer version on 10.4 what errors have you got?

I'm in touch with developers who're using the latest Lazarus version on 10.4 without any problems.

davidshepherd

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 08:40:57 am »

Trying to answer everyone...   I used the 'older' version, because my research showed it was the last version that would work with osx 10.4

I'm in touch with developers who're using the latest Lazarus version on 10.4 without any problems.

Hmm...   Okay, well, as soon as I figure out how to load the new version and get past the error 'you can't continue, there is nothing to install' (what a GREAT error message, btw), I'll give it another try with the newest version.

I don't recall where I read .26 was the only one that worked with 10.4, I thought it was in the download section...  ah well, thanks.

davidshepherd

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 08:49:19 am »
Installed 9.28.2 and it installed...

Still disappears on startup, SO, I tried the command line version and got some errors about the library (see below).

Anyone know of a fix for this?

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/Lazarus.app/Contents/MacOS/lazarus
  Reason: Incompatible library version: lazarus requires version 7.0.0 or later, but libiconv.2.dylib provides version 5.0.0
Trace/BPT trap

davidshepherd

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 08:51:36 am »

I don't know how that is possible, given my last error message: 

Reason: Incompatible library version: lazarus requires version 7.0.0 or later, but libiconv.2.dylib provides version 5.0.0
Trace/BPT trap

Sounds like Phil is right, and you need 10.5 to work with the newest version. I think this is why I chose to try to load .9.26.2 instead. I found somewhere that was the last version to work with osx 10.4

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 08:58:41 am »

Trace/BPT trap
Well, It's possible with Lazarus built on 10.4 natively. (AFAIK Lazarus .dmg file is built on 10.5).

Try the following. After you've installed 0.9.28.x version, open Terminal:
Code: [Select]
cd /Developer/Lazarus
make bigide

I'm not sure if Lazarus is installed in /Developer/Lazarus path or /Developer/Applications/Lazarus.

davidshepherd

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 09:53:11 am »

Trace/BPT trap
Well, It's possible with Lazarus built on 10.4 natively. (AFAIK Lazarus .dmg file is built on 10.5).

Try the following. After you've installed 0.9.28.x version, open Terminal:
Code: [Select]
cd /Developer/Lazarus
make bigide

I'm not sure if Lazarus is installed in /Developer/Lazarus path or /Developer/Applications/Lazarus.

Appreciate the help, but I don't know how to interpret the error I got!
Lots of errors, mostly 'command now found', but eventually:

make[1]: -iTO: Command not found
  Referenced from: /Developer/lazarus/ide/../tools/svn2revisioninc
  Reason: Incompatible library version: svn2revisioninc requires version 7.0.0 or later, but libiconv.2.dylib provides version 5.0.0
make[1]: *** [revisioninc] Trace/BPT trap
make: *** [idebig] Error 2

So that's fun...

I could just develop under linux, but my macbook pro would be left out...  and it's my main puter.

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 10:07:40 am »
Quote from: davidshepherd link=topic=8151.msg39064#msg39064
Appreciate the help, but I don't know how to interpret the error I got!
Lots of errors, mostly 'command now found', but eventually:

make[1]: -iTO: Command not found
do you have XCode installed?

TinyPortal © 2005-2018