Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus tries to load and disappears  (Read 30776 times)

Jonas Maebe

Re: Lazarus tries to load and disappears
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2009, 12:47:50 pm »
All of the info you mentioned is below, but not perhaps with the results you expected...  such as my not having a .profile????

There is no default user-specific .profile file. You can just create a new one using your favourite text editor.

davidshepherd

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 12:52:43 pm »
open Terminal:
Code: [Select]
cd ~
open -e .profile
open .MacOSX/environment.plist

make sure that /usr/local/bin is added to PATH variable (like in screenshots)

you'll also need to make sure that "fpc" and "ppc386" are present in /usr/local/bin
Code: [Select]
ls /usr/local/bin/*pc*

Reboot Mac (it's necessary after fixing ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist) and try to "make" lazarus again.

You don't have to add anything to .MacOSX/environment.plist unless those settings have to be available in GUI applications as well (and having /usr/local/bin in your path should not be necessary for any GUI application, including Lazarus). Furthermore, you don't have to reboot after modifying that file, logging out and logging back in should be enough.

Well, you guys are very helpful...

I finally did the 'make' including that long OPT thing... which apparently should redo laz so it uses my older lib.

And it DID, I think, in that laz now runs, and I can compile...  EXCEPT, at least I know the synedit components blow up with a memory access violation.

I'll do some forum searching on that to see wtf is up there.

Fascinating that this is such an ordeal. I guess I should not have held such a grudge against Bill Gates, if making things work is this difficult.

Thanks guys, I've learned much so far! You guys are awesome for bothering with this stuff.

David

Jonas Maebe

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2009, 12:55:11 pm »
And it DID, I think, in that laz now runs, and I can compile...  EXCEPT, at least I know the synedit components blow up with a memory access violation.

In your first message you said that you were using FPC 2.2.2. Is that still the case? Current Lazarus releases are only supported with FPC 2.2.4 and later.

No FPC release has problems with running on older Mac OS X releases.

davidshepherd

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2009, 12:56:29 pm »

In your first message you said that you were using FPC 2.2.2. Is that still the case? Current Lazarus releases are only supported with FPC 2.2.4 and later.

No FPC release has problems with running on older Mac OS X releases.

I updated that to 2.2.4...

Thanks man, your help is SO appreciated. Yikes, how could anyone get through this stuff without a forum and helpful folks.

Jonas Maebe

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2009, 12:59:15 pm »

I updated that to 2.2.4...
In that case, I can't help further anymore. I'm not a Lazarus developer...

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2009, 01:12:34 pm »
Quote from: davidshepherd link=topic=8151.msg39093#msg39093
Fascinating that this is such an ordeal.

It really shouldn't be that hard, as it's not designed to be so.

Building Lazarus from sources is used to install additional components, and even this operation is done via GUI interface, rather than command-line.

We'll fix the .dmg
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 01:14:25 pm by skalogryyz »

davidshepherd

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2009, 07:40:33 pm »
Quote from: davidshepherd link=topic=8151.msg39093#msg39093
Fascinating that this is such an ordeal.

It really shouldn't be that hard, as it's not designed to be so.

Building Lazarus from sources is used to install additional components, and even this operation is done via GUI interface, rather than command-line.

We'll fix the .dmg

Umm...  okay...   

Two KNOWN problems (initially encountered anyway):

1. Do you have any idea why the synedit components cause a memory access violation?

2. Once I move a component to a form, I can resize, but no longer move the component around.

Weird.

Glad you are going to fix the .dmg though...  maybe that will solve everything for me... please please please please.

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2009, 07:55:34 pm »
1. Do you have any idea why the synedit components cause a memory access violation?

2. Once I move a component to a form, I can resize, but no longer move the component around.
if you've installed daily snapshot, it's normal. Because daily snapshots are developer versions, and these bugs you've mentioned might be fixed in the snapshot tomorrow.
...so, maybe you need to uninstall the Lazarus again, and rebuild from sources 0.9.28.x as it's more stable or wait for another day and try newer snapshot.

Both designer and synedit has been modified recently. You just had a bad luck to download buggy snapshot. It's quite normal, such things happen.

Also. Whenever you find a bug, please provide as much information as possible. Especially for crash bugs, like access violation. One of the most valuable info for such errors is backtrace.
You can learn more about bug reporting here: http://wiki.freepascal.org/How_do_I_create_a_bug_report

davidshepherd

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2009, 08:10:52 pm »

if you've installed daily snapshot, it's normal. Because daily snapshots are developer versions, and these bugs you've mentioned might be fixed in the snapshot tomorrow.
...so, maybe you need to uninstall the Lazarus again, and rebuild from sources 0.9.28.x as it's more stable or wait for another day and try newer snapshot.

Both designer and synedit has been modified recently. You just had a bad luck to download buggy snapshot. It's quite normal, such things happen.

Also. Whenever you find a bug, please provide as much information as possible. Especially for crash bugs, like access violation. One of the most valuable info for such errors is backtrace.
You can learn more about bug reporting here: http://wiki.freepascal.org/How_do_I_create_a_bug_report

Ah, thank you... okay, will do bug report, and also recompile the older laz.  I 'think' I have a script off the wiki that will uninstall it all in one shot.

davidshepherd

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2009, 02:25:59 am »
Ignore question, I found the answer...  the crazy installer doesn't think there is anything to install if there is something already in 'receipts'.   Yes, I am a newbie to this osx thing.

Thanks for the incredible help here though, and huge kudos to the guys who answered me patiently and with that thing called knowledge.

[/quote]

This is still fun...  uninstalled laz and fpc, by running uninstall script on wiki. Turns out it didn't touch /developer/lazarus, so I added it to the script.

But interestingly, when trying to install the older .9.28.2, I get this neat error saying there is nothing to install (after installer complains I am installing over a newer version, so it pretends it's going to let me, even though I can't find a trace of lazarus anywhere).

Any thoughts anyone?   I tried the latest snapshot from today, but it's still 'bad' for synedit and moving components on forms.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 03:00:32 am by davidshepherd »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018