Forum > Third party

Small profiler for Windows projects

(1/2) > >>

danquantum:
First of all, I want to congratulate the entire FPC and Lazarus community for its great job with this project. I have used Lazarus for some time and I think is a great development environment.

I've just started work on a small tool in order to profile my applications, called cAtomProfiler, for projects compiled on the windows platform. Later, the porting to others will be dealt. The purpose is not only to extract timings for method calls, but also to build analyzer graphs. I am really interested in other's opinion about the usefullness of a project like this.

No published work yet (very soon anyway), but my intend is to make it an open source project and invite everyone to use/improve it. I need to know what are the necessary step in creation of an open source project (I mean, is it sufficient in placing the license copy in the source code package, or do I have to make a registration somewhere). I know this might be a stupid question, but anyway, I would apreciate any insight. Thank you.

I will try to answer any other questions posted prior to the initial publish of the project.

TurboRascal:

--- Quote from: danquantum on November 29, 2009, 03:45:38 pm ---I need to know what are the necessary step in creation of an open source project (I mean, is it sufficient in placing the license copy in the source code package, or do I have to make a registration somewhere).

--- End quote ---

It is sufficient. Your program becomes open source as soon as you publish it with an open source licence. To be more specific, to become "Open Source" in the Open Source Initiative meaning, the license should be one that is approved by the Initiative (Like GPL, BSD lic., etc.)...

In the wider meaning, it is enough to publish it with any kind of licence that permits modification and redistribution of the source code...

danquantum:
So no legal issues here... thank you

I will get with a new announcement regarding the first release and details on how you may download the tool in a very short time (including the catomprofiler.sourceforge.net already started). This will not be a fully working release and especially not an optimized one, but my hope is to get the attention and help of others.

In the meantime, I will try to answer to any posted questions here, if any.

Paul Ishenin:
It would be really nice to have a good profiler for fpc applications on windows. But instead of building the new project you maybe can cooperate with the http://delphitools.info/samplingprofiler/ ?

In any case I'm very interesting in this work.

danquantum:

--- Quote from: Paul Ishenin on November 30, 2009, 03:39:20 am ---It would be really nice to have a good profiler for fpc applications on windows. But instead of building the new project you maybe can cooperate with the http://delphitools.info/samplingprofiler/ ?

In any case I'm very interesting in this work.

--- End quote ---

I see only one good reason in developing a new project under fpc/lazarus: to help grow the range of fpc/lazarus applications and community even more. Actually is a matter of personal choice, as one may think I would reject the idea of contributing to a project developed under Delphi, which is not true. And this certainly does not exclude the ideea of cooperation with the project in the future.

The cAtomProfiler is an instrumental one, working through injection of the source code with profiler methods calls like
--- Code: ---{$ASMMODE intel}asm call cAtom_EnterProc end;
--- End code ---
Still, many things are to be further put in place, as I want it to be capable of determining as automatically as possible not only the entries and exits in procedures, but also the point of calls to permit code branch discrimination (if loops or decision branching).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version