Recent

Author Topic: A tip for upgrading Lazarus in Windows...  (Read 3661 times)

TurboRascal

• "Good sysadmin. Bad programmer."™
A tip for upgrading Lazarus in Windows...
« on: November 29, 2009, 02:11:25 pm »
There is a small but possibly confusing quirk in Lazarus installation procedure which creates a problem when upgrading Lazarus together with FPC. Namely, when you upgrade, configuration is preserved, and "FPC path" still points to the old FPC directory. An error I usually encountered was something like "Class Interfaces not found" and similar.

Since the installer does not remove the old FPC and update configuration files, you need to remove the old FPC manually. For example, last time this happened, there were "2.2.2" and "2.2.4" directories under lazarus\fpc\. After removing the 2.2.2\ dir which it was using because of the old config, the next time Lazarus started it simply complains it cannot find FPC directory, and asks to use the default. When confirmed, it sets the path correctly (to 2.2.4\ in this example). Of course, you can simply edit fpc path in the options to point to the correct one, but I like the way i described, so I get rid of the old fpc and also ensure Lazarus sets the correct path automatically. Of course, pay attention not to delete the new fpc instead ;)

Hope this helps someone...
Regards, ArNy the Turbo Rascal
-
"The secret is to give them what they need, not what they want." - Scotty, STTNG:Relics

• KSP website
Re: A tip for upgrading Lazarus in Windows...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 03:19:53 pm »
When I am upgrading it then let say Lazarus is in default folder: c:\lazarus. I download new setup file and then rename c:\lazarus_old (just in case). Then I install new version of Lazarus (setup should point to the old installation folder, if it doesn't change path manually). After that you should have old configuration (working one) and fresh installation.