Recent

Author Topic: Forums won't store login  (Read 9206 times)

IgD

• http://www.igdsoftware.com
Forums won't store login
« on: February 23, 2004, 04:46:19 pm »
I've accessed the lazarus.freepascal.org forums from several different systems.  I'm experiencing the same problem on all of them.  Even if I check the save login info box, I have to re-login frequently.  Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

mhess

• http://www.miraclec.com
Forums won't store login
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 01:37:09 am »
I have the forums setup to save your session for I think 6 hrs. After that it destroys your sessions and requires that you login again. I have it set this way to give a more accurate representation of the currect user activity.

neli

Forums won't store login
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 09:22:52 am »
Ah, are you sure activity is measured by how many people are logged in? Can you measure it by the number of HTTP requests in the last 5 minutes or so?

Can people by logged in and at the same time offline? If they haven't done any HTTP requests for the last five minutes, you can mark them 'offline'.

Just some suggestions from a know-nothing-about-web-forum-administering ;-)

Micha.

mhess

• http://www.miraclec.com
Forums won't store login
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 10:53:01 pm »
Quote from: "neli"
Ah, are you sure activity is measured by how many people are logged in? Can you measure it by the number of HTTP requests in the last 5 minutes or so?

No. PNphpBB2 is, as the name implies tied direclty into PostNuke which is what is used to run this site. While the tie in lets you login into just PostNuke to activate you phpBB2 account they both still maintain separate statistics. If you look at the Who's Online at the left this indiates the number of people who have accessed the site within the last 6 hours. It maintains your session for that length of time. This is session information that it stores in the PostNuke database to identify you communications.

Quote from: "neli"
Can people by logged in and at the same time offline? If they haven't done any HTTP requests for the last five minutes, you can mark them 'offline'.

Yes you can be offline from the internet and still logged into the Lazarus site for up to 6 hours. After that time it removes your session from the database.

A while back it was set to just a few minutes before it timed out but a longer time was requested. I moved it to 24 hrs but the Who's online data was really out of proportion. I moved it back to around 6 hrs.

Vincent Snijders

• Administrator
    • My Lazarus wiki user page
Forums won't store login
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 04:04:15 pm »
If I choose login at the top of the forums page, I get a login page with a checkbox which says: "log me on automaticly each visit". What is the purpose of this checkbox, if you get logged off automaticly after six hours of inactivity.  Generally, I do sleep more than six hous a night and I am automaticly NOT logged on each visit in the morning.

Anonymous

Forums won't store login
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 11:58:50 pm »
This cookie problem is incredibly annoying.  Almost every time I try to view the Lazarus forums my username and password are forgotten.  I can't think of any other forums I visit that suffer from this problem.  Can you please fix it?

Lightning

Forums won't store login
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 10:57:53 am »
You only have this problem if you move from one machine to another, if you stay on the same machine you don't have to login again.
The future must be... Fast and OpenSource so...
Think Open and Lightning Fast!

Anonymous

Forums won't store login
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 03:26:09 pm »
Lightning, like I said I view a number of different forums ranging from PHPBB to vBulletin and have never had a problem like this.  I use different systems all the time.

matthijs

Forums won't store login
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 05:10:05 pm »
Lightning, that is not fully correct. This morning I logged in on a pc at work and am now connected with a pc at home. Even at home I switch from computer to computer without to much problems. Sometimes I get connected without being logged in, but usually it goes allright. :) I'll try some experimenting now. :D
What's in a sig? Would my posting look less if it didnot have a sig? (Free after William S.) :)

:( Why cannot I upload my own Avatar? :(

Lightning

Forums won't store login
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 11:38:10 am »
Hmm, i have 2 PCs here, i always have to login when moving from one to the other.
Well, on most forums i don't have to login all the time, but it's not on all of them, some other forums also have this "feature" of ignoring the old cookie.
The future must be... Fast and OpenSource so...
Think Open and Lightning Fast!

Anonymous

Forums won't store login
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 07:11:31 pm »
Same problem persists.  I logged on a couple days ago on this PC but am logged out again.

matthijs

Forums won't store login
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 07:38:20 pm »
And you didnot use the PC in the past days to connect to the forum? If this is the case, I guess there's a TTL set for the cookies.
What's in a sig? Would my posting look less if it didnot have a sig? (Free after William S.) :)

:( Why cannot I upload my own Avatar? :(

Anonymous

Forums won't store login
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2005, 09:10:48 pm »
Yes, 48 hours ago I used the PC to log-on to the forums.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018