Forum > Windows (32/64)

Replacing Delphi?

(1/1)

Anonymous:
I have seen Delphi 8, and oh-so-bleak a sight it is  :cry:

IMHO, there will be a window of opportunity in the next months for Lazarus/FreePascal to become mainstream Pascal projects, especially if Borland stay on the tracks they are (ie. no more native compilation support, no more compilation support worthy of the name).

Dunno if that is the wish of the Lazarus/FreePascal admins, but a sizeable portion of the Delphi users will be left with only two choices:
-  :? stick with Delphi Win32 for as long as possible
- :evil: switch to other products/languages (ie. C/C++/Fortran)

There could be a third choice, if a reasonnably stable alternative IDE was out there (even if that means culling out/deactivating features to get a stable build), an alternative that could compile even simple graphical apps, with basic Delphi compatibility (language and DFM), it could draw a lot of attention, especially with a promise of x86-64 support.
However a "setup.exe" packaging would be necessary, many people, even of experience, won't take the time to evaluate if they have to spend a lot of time into command-line compilation intricacies.

That's not a request, that's a "heads up"  :wink:

neli:

--- Quote from: "Anonymous" ---I have seen Delphi 8, and oh-so-bleak a sight it is  :cry:

--- End quote ---

In what way is it bleak? (I haven't seen it yet.)

Micha.

Anonymous:
Here is my quick list of pragmatic observations ;)

IDE sluggish (you can see the form editor repaint), memory hungry (100 MB+), and now a Visual-Studio clone (ie. either you edit a form in a designer or you edit code, can't see both at the same time, component palette now a vertical mess, see the C#Builder IDE, it's the same).
Compiled EXEs slow (25% slower at best, up to several orders of magnitude in the worst cases, a general sluggish feel all the time) and memory hungry (a dozen of megabytes for a form with a button).
Need to deploy the .net framework with your apps (30 MB+).
Backward compatibility limited (porting to D8.net isn't straightforward, and the result is bound to be a slower, bulkier version of whatever you had before), some things were just dropped with no alternative replacement.

IMO, the only worthy part is ASP.net support.

Dino__:
/me stick D5 and Lazarus then  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version