Recent

Author Topic: Nintendo DS cross-arm installer  (Read 10407 times)

Kjooow

Nintendo DS cross-arm installer
« on: September 14, 2009, 07:12:40 pm »
Is it possible to make an installer (such as "win32 -> arm wince" in Lazarus Snapshots ) for Nintendo DS? (something like: "win32 -> arm nds", so upgrading and installing will be more simply :))

I tried to compile for nds, but I can't... But it compile good for WinCE!

Thank you.
Kjow

Legolas

• http://itaprogaming.free.fr
Re: Nintendo DS cross-arm installer
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 07:39:06 pm »
It does not work out of the box with Lazarus. You will need to call the fpc compiler by hand

Kjooow

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:54:50 am »
So it isn't possible to use lazarus components (lnet, glscene, etc...)... is it right?

Legolas

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 12:19:57 pm »
Programming a console like the nds is pretty different than programming a pc, so nope, you can't

Kjooow

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 01:13:30 pm »
I know the big differences... For this reason I mentioned WinCE.

I simply hoped that cross-develop was more advanced. Programming for WinCE is not so hard with Lazarus, laz4nds "only" needs the rights "converting-tools" (as WinCE)...

...after all, both run on ARM. :)

Thanks.

Legolas

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 02:48:59 pm »
The difference I was talking about is the lack of an OS on the nds. More, the amount of memory is very limited (4 MB).

Sharing the same cpu does not mean that a porting of the LCL is possible. The LCL for DOS, for example, does not exist, even if Win32 and DOS are sharing the same cpu ;)

On the other hand, Lazarus can be a very good editor for Nintendo DS too (with code completion, for example), in fact I use it for this purpose and it works very well :)

Kjooow

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 05:25:33 pm »
I know... :)
For this reason I mentioned WinCE, not PC world... :) ;)

However, it doesn't matter. I'll try to convert something mine, in fpc compiler by hands... all right, after finished all works ;)

Thanks & Bye

felipemdc

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 11:30:58 pm »
So it isn't possible to use lazarus components (lnet, glscene, etc...)... is it right?

Not at the moment, but you could post a bounty in the wiki and someone could write an interface to write software for Nintendo DS using Lazarus for an amount of money.

One thing however is that your examples for Lazarus components aren't really Lazarus Components. lnet is a networking library which doesn't need Lazarus to run, and glscene while working with Lazarus is an interface to DirectX from Microsoft which obviously doesn't run on Nintendo DS. So you can expect that with such a port Lazarus components would run in Nintendo DS, but not those that you mentioned here.

Kjooow

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 11:48:41 pm »
Not at the moment, but you could post a bounty in the wiki and someone could write an interface to write software for Nintendo DS using Lazarus for an amount of money.

This is no longer my priority.

One thing however is that your examples for Lazarus components aren't really Lazarus Components. lnet is a networking library which doesn't need Lazarus to run, and glscene while working with Lazarus is an interface to DirectX from Microsoft which obviously doesn't run on Nintendo DS. So you can expect that with such a port Lazarus components would run in Nintendo DS, but not those that you mentioned here.

GLScene works with OpenGL and it is multiplatform (Win, Linux and I think MacOSX)... I supposed that NDS runs OpenGL, but I was in wrong (I think) so it should be fully-traslated to NDS primitives, that is not good.
About Lnet, if it is no lazarus-dependent, maybe can be used in fpc-nds, I don't know. But NDS is no longer my priority, at moment... other projects in the way.

Thank you for reply.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018