Recent

Author Topic: shell question  (Read 5170 times)

mbohn

shell question
« on: August 25, 2009, 02:57:32 am »
Apologies for the basic question here but it has been a decade or so since I used a Unix shell.

I'm trying to copy the fpc source, fpc-2.2.4, from my Download directory to /usr/local/bin.

I tried to mkdir the new directory /usr/local/bin/fpc-2.2.4 but I get "Permission denied" as a result.  I assume I need to log in as root to do this?

If so could I also do this from my Download directory: cp -R fpc-2.2.4 /usr/local/bin

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: shell question
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 07:45:52 am »
I assume I need to log in as root to do this?
Or prepend the command with sudo.
If so could I also do this from my Download directory: cp -R fpc-2.2.4 /usr/local/bin
Yes.

Jonas Maebe

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 01:29:10 pm »
I'm trying to copy the fpc source, fpc-2.2.4, from my Download directory to /usr/local/bin.

Why are you copying the sources to /usr/local/bin? That directory is only supposed to contain executables.

mbohn

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 03:18:09 pm »
Why are you copying the sources to /usr/local/bin? That directory is only supposed to contain executables.

I probably got confused from the wiki:

"If Lazarus complains about not being able to find the Free Pascal compiler, choose Environment | Environment options in the Lazarus IDE and enter /usr/local/bin/ppcppc in the Compiler path box (/usr/local/bin/ppc386 on Intel Macs)."

Where should the fp source code go?

Vincent Snijders

• Administrator
    • My Lazarus wiki user page
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 03:20:51 pm »
If you are system admin, you can copy the fpc sources to /usr/local/share/fpc/2.2.4/

If not, copy them to ~/fpcsources/2.2.4.

Use this path in the environment options for the fpc sources.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018