Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus fails to create executable  (Read 6986 times)

oldalistair

Lazarus fails to create executable
« on: August 14, 2009, 01:25:54 pm »
 I am currently puzzled and frustrated in my efforts  to create one or two programs (originally produced successfully in Delphi). I  find I have no problem creating applications based on a single unit (each time  an executable is produced on compilation.) However when I try to build a program consisting of a chain of several units I get an encouraging message telling  me that compilation was successful, but to my great disappointment there is no executable, as Lazarus itself informs me when I try to RUN after compilation.
Another related problem I encounter is a message telling me that Lazarus cannot find a particular unit even when it has been loaded and appears in the ProjectInspector. My Delphi experience
has been of no help to me to troubleshoot  here, so I have to seek assistance. The same problems occur in both Windows and Linux. I am certain that I have made all necessary changes to the
former Delphi units to fit Lazarus. I have tried to load units directly into the Project Inspector, and also singly using 'Add Editor File to Project'- it's  is not clear which is the recommended procedure.

Thank you for your attention
oldalistair

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: Lazarus fails to create executable
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 02:11:04 pm »
an encouraging message telling  me that compilation was successful

Something like: Project "blablabla" was built successfully ?

Another related problem I encounter is a message telling me that Lazarus cannot find a particular unit even when it has been loaded and appears in the ProjectInspector

Could you post all and hidden messages from messages window (right click there first)?

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 11:55:14 pm »
>as Lazarus itself informs me when I try to RUN after compilation

That is you only have the msg from lazarus, or you also checked yourself on the disk, looking for the exe? (sorry to be pedantic)

Maybe lazarus (run/run param) has a different exe name configured, or maybe the exe was created in an "output" folder, and lazarus did not expect this?

"unit not found" => is that while debugging, or if an error during compilation appears?
- A unit with code you wrote in the main project dir
- A unit with code you wrote in another dir
- a unit from a packacke or LCL (anything inside the lazarus folder, except the fpc folder)
- a unit of the rtl (anything in the fpc folder)

oldalistair

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 06:23:46 pm »
Something like: Project "blablabla" was built successfully ?

Yes. -Project "DukeGO" successfully built (The program is a launcher for the game DukeNukem 3D and has 3 units - Duke, Duke01 Duke03- the last 2 appear in the Uses list for the main unit Duke)

post all and hidden messages from messages window

There are no other messages when I build or compile.

you also checked yourself on the disk, looking for the exe?

Yes indeed. Nothing to be found. Neither Project1.exe or DukeGo.exe  or anyfile.exe (in Windows) or a file with the Execfile  icon in Linux.

"unit not found" => is that while debugging, or if an error during compilation appears?

A unit with code in the main project dir (In spite of the fact that it 's listed in the Source and the Project Inspector)

In Delphi I simply added all my units to the project and, selected Project Options and indicated which is the main form. The procedure is not clear in Lazarus. Also when I enter the application title I get  "Unable to change project title in source", though the change does in fact take place.

Thank you for your interest
Alistair Campbell

TinyPortal © 2005-2018