Recent

Author Topic: Wicked Defense 2 re-released as freeware  (Read 4022 times)

ykot

Wicked Defense 2 re-released as freeware
« on: June 14, 2016, 12:47:53 am »
We have released this game roughly 7 years ago under commercial terms and since Ixchel Studios web site has gone offline some time ago, we have agreed to re-release it as freeware. This is basically a sequel to original Wicked Defense 1 game, which first appeared back in 2007. Two years later, we have released this sequel.

Basically, Wicked Defense is a tower-defense 3D game, where you build and upgrade towers, and cast instant spells to prevent large hordes of monsters from reaching their destination.  The game's engine uses Asphyre 4.x framework (first appeared around 2007), which is a predecessor to PXL. It takes advantage of CPU's vectorized instructions and GPU's hardware instancing to produce procedural 3D meshes in real-time. On some scenarios, the engine may be rendering over million triangles per frame. It also uses multiple volumetric effects such as rays, lasers, beams and particle showers.

The game runs on Windows and needs DirectX 9 compliant video card (supporting shaders). It includes Scenario Editor, which allows creating new maps and uses Pascal scripting, controlling most aspects of the game.

The actual game and its screenshots are available on Wicked Defense 2 official web site.

P.S. 250KiB attachment limitation wouldn't allow me to post a single screenshot, so I've re-encoded one of them with degraded JPEG quality and attached here.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:04:52 am by ykot »

jwdietrich

• formatio reticularis
Re: Wicked Defense 2 re-released as freeware
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 01:04:44 am »
This sounds very interesting. Unfortunately, It doesn't support macOS or Linux, therefore I cannot test it. Is source code available?
function GetRandomNumber: integer; // xkcd.com
begin
  GetRandomNumber := 4; // chosen by fair dice roll. Guaranteed to be random.
end;

http://www.formatio-reticularis.de

Lazarus 2.0.10 | FPC 3.2.0 | PPC, Intel, ARM | macOS, Windows, Linux

ykot

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 01:11:07 am »
When this game was originally made, back in 2007, we were using Turbo Delphi, so were targeting Windows only. Portions of the engine were ported to FPC some time ago, but there haven't been agreement to open-source it yet (and it might actually be used in a different project later on).

ykot

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 04:33:18 am »
Also, we have released earlier version of Wicked Defense 1 and re-released Aztlan Dreams as freeware. The last one used Asphyre Sphinx and appeared back in 2009.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 10:00:55 am »
Though the Windows version might be runnable via wine, I still prefer native version. I never use Asphyre so I don't know how it abstracts DirectX and how easy it is to switch to OpenGL. If that one has been tackled, everything else should be easy to port, in theory.

ykot

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 04:14:00 am »
Though the Windows version might be runnable via wine, I still prefer native version. I never use Asphyre so I don't know how it abstracts DirectX and how easy it is to switch to OpenGL. If that one has been tackled, everything else should be easy to port, in theory.
Actually, I've already managed to run Aztlan Dreams on Linux with FPC/Lazarus. The trick is: since the game used Asphyre Sphinx, that already had concept of back-ends and it supported FreePascal too; as it is pretty complex to port the whole code, I just created Asphyre Sphinx back-end, also known as "provider", which internally calls PXL - kind of Proxy pattern. And it works! :)

However, the gameplay is weird because the game relies heavily on Delphi's Random() function and RandSeed, saving, changing and restoring it - something that doesn't seem to work in FPC. PXL already has its own random generator exactly because of that, but it would take some time to port the game to this new mechanism.

Wicked Defense uses completely different approach and heavy use of shaders - I do have an experimental FPC port of this engine to OpenGL ES, but the game itself does rely heavily on some Windows API functions and I simply don't have time to get my hangs on it. :(

TinyPortal © 2005-2018