Recent

Author Topic: Poll: Watches and DisplayFormat => How do you think data should be displayed  (Read 9947 times)

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
I fixed it while you were building.  I forgot one file (and the CI failed and notified me). Try again, please.

440bx

I fixed it while you were building.  I forgot one file (and the CI failed and notified me). Try again, please.
Success!! :)  Thank you!
(FPC v3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.2) or (FPC v3.2.2 and Lazarus v3.2) on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
Just a note on the "char array to string" => It is limited by the overall length of the array.

The manual cast "^char(@arrardata[1])" => is a different expression sent to the backend, and the backend then figures out what data to sent based on that expression.

The "Value Formatter" does not change the expression. The backend does still evaluate that array, and returns that data. Like a "DisplayFormat" (e.g. hex/dec/bin for numbers) the "Value Formatter" merely changes how this data is displayed (and it omits some data, if it is told to stop at #0).

This also means that there is a difference for sparse arrays. (arrays with memory gaps between their elements). If an array of char for some reason had each element aligned to a 4 byte boundary, then there would be 3 empty bytes between the element. (Afaik no way to make that happen with fpc, but...). The array would show "'a','b','c'", the display-formatter "'abc'", but the "pchar" trick would show "'a'#1#2#3'b'#4#5#6'c'" (depending on what trash would be present in the gaps, or if it was #0 it would cut off).

However, the Value formatter does assemble the pascal "char" as code-units into an utf8 string. (Of course, setting a codepage could be added).

Internally that is owed to the strict differentiation between a frond and back end.

It is possible that (at extra cost), Value formatters off the future could evaluate extra data.
There also is a "backend converter" which can handle this in the backend.

A further difference between work done in the front or back end is, that data stored in debug history can not be updated by the backend (as the debug process is no longer in the state that it was). But front end formatting can still be done. (even if currently access to that is not yet implemented)

440bx

I'll keep all that in mind.

I got one thing to finish before I can give this latest version a good workout.

But, I don't need to finish anything to thank you again for all that work.  FpDebug is getting to be a really nice debugger.  In many ways I find it more enjoyable than VS' debugger, that has been my "gold standard" for years and now I find FpDebug more responsive and intuitive.   Good stuff ... and getting better.

(FPC v3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.2) or (FPC v3.2.2 and Lazarus v3.2) on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018