Recent

Author Topic: Virtual Treeview state of affairs?  (Read 11843 times)

eny

Virtual Treeview state of affairs?
« on: April 20, 2009, 10:09:55 pm »
Has anyone managed to get the virtual treeview component working?

I've tried the latest beta from svn (with the fixed header problem) with Lazarus 0.9.26.2.
But as soon as I start using icons for the nodes, the treeview breaks down: node texts are not printed anymore, the desktop background suddenly shines through and the selection rectangle isn't visible anymore. The only elements that are printed correctly are in fact the icons. Happens with XP and Vista.
Am I missing something?

[edit]
This problem doesn't present itself when using Win2000. When running the exact same executabale on Win2000, the treeview and icons are painted as expected.

[update]
Some more info: same problem occurs with 0.9.27 and fpc 2.2.5.
Also some backward incompatibilities have been introduced with 0.9.27 and vtv.
The problem is apparently related to changes that were applied in screen handling after 0.9.24. The above problem doesn't exist with that version (but vtv is unusable with that version).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 11:38:56 pm by eny »
All posts based on: Win10 (Win64); Lazarus 2.0.10 'stable' (x64) unless specified otherwise...

bah

Re: Virtual Treeview state of affairs?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 07:59:20 am »
I have had the same problem as you have found.  I was using an old VT port and worked fine (under 0.9.24 I think), but changes to the code (LCL) made using it impossible.  I think it highlights a real problem with lazarus at the moment, and that is the developers all like to fiddle with the code - without looking at the consequences.  It might fix one problem but creates 2 more somewhere else. I am hoping it is a case of 1 step back, 2 steps forward.
   I moved over tho 0.9.26.2 and the new port of the current VT code, but still have all the same problems. I would like to see VT as part of the main stream "test" code used by Lazarus to see if it is behaving normally - it is a complex visual component, and to boot really useful.
  Anyway I think it is wait and see now.
Ciao

Vincent Snijders

• Administrator
    • My Lazarus wiki user page
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 09:25:31 am »
Did you try the svn versions of Virtual Trees?

Anyway nobody forces you to upgrade Lazarus, so feel free to keep using 0.9.24 if you really must. But it would be better if you helped the Virtual Tree maintainer by testing it regularly against Lazarus development versions and supply patches. VT is too big and complex component to be part of the main Lazarus distribution.

So, no wait and see, but test, patch and submit the patch for inclusion. VT is open source, for a reason.  :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:27:07 am by Vincent Snijders »

LuizAmérico

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 11:21:04 pm »
Are you using http://lazarus-ccr.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/lazarus-ccr/components/virtualtreeview-new/ plus packages multilog and lclextensions from http://code.google.com/p/luipack/source/browse/ ?

Even the advanced demo is working fine in windows xp.

Using Lazarus 0.9.27 r19614 FPC 2.2.4 i386-win32-win32/win64
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 11:24:07 pm by LuizAmérico »

eny

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 03:23:25 pm »
Thx for all the feedback.
@LuizAmérico: thx for sharing these links. Together with the latest Lazarus download (Lazarus-0.9.27-19777-fpc-2.2.5-20090503-win32) this gave me a working combination on Vista (Win2000 works as well).
Great stuff!

@Vincent Snijders: sure it's all open source. But some problems are not that easily solved. When updates/new versions of (open source) software break programs that were working before it seriously reduces the acceptance. And for the great product Lazarus is (and VTV for that matter) that would be a shame.
All posts based on: Win10 (Win64); Lazarus 2.0.10 'stable' (x64) unless specified otherwise...

JD

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 11:56:12 am »
Are you using http://lazarus-ccr.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/lazarus-ccr/components/virtualtreeview-new/ plus packages multilog and lclextensions from http://code.google.com/p/luipack/source/browse/ ?

Even the advanced demo is working fine in windows xp.

Using Lazarus 0.9.27 r19614 FPC 2.2.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

Hi Luiz,

Thank for your good work. I am also trying to get virtualtreeview to work on Lazarus/FPC & I downloaded multilog, lclextensions & virtualtreeview from the sites you suggested intending to install them in that order. However, as I was installing multilog, the package installation reported an error on the published property "Ctl3D" in logtreeview.pas

This is not the first time I'm getting an error on "Ctl3D" properties in components I try to install & I was wondering how you all managed to get your components with these properties working.

I am using Lazarus 0.9.27 r19137 FPC 2.2.5 i386-win32-win32/win64

Cheers,

JD
Windows - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe),
Linux Mint - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe)

mORMot; Zeos 8; SQLite, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView

LuizAmérico

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 02:07:49 am »
Thank for your good work. I am also trying to get virtualtreeview to work on Lazarus/FPC & I downloaded multilog, lclextensions & virtualtreeview from the sites you suggested intending to install them in that order. However, as I was installing multilog, the package installation reported an error on the published property "Ctl3D" in logtreeview.pas

This is not the first time I'm getting an error on "Ctl3D" properties in components I try to install & I was wondering how you all managed to get your components with these properties working.

Ctl3d is a deprecated property. It was removed from multilog at revision 430 (Feb 09, 2009). Make sure you are using multilog (and all other components) from svn (https://luipack.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/multilog)

JD

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 03:52:45 pm »
Hi Luiz,

Thanks for your reply. However the URL you directed me to is asking for user authentication (user name & password) before I am allowed access to it.

Any suggestions.

Thanks for your advice.

JD
Windows - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe),
Linux Mint - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe)

mORMot; Zeos 8; SQLite, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView

Vincent Snijders

• Administrator
    • My Lazarus wiki user page
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 04:05:01 pm »

Troodon

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 04:29:43 pm »
the developers all like to fiddle with the code - without looking at the consequences.

One approach to avoid this type of situations in the future would be to include more components in the main stream, like you suggested. Alternatively, the developers of those components should keep them up to date. If it's a Delphi component then there is no obvious solution.
Lazarus/FPC on Linux

TinyPortal © 2005-2018