Recent

Author Topic: using the raspberry pico to drive the electronics for a parcel delivery vault.  (Read 3052 times)

MiR

The board is something different, it has an rp2040 and for wifi one can use the extra esp32-c3 soldered on the board.

Both devices talk to each other over a serial port.
From my point of view a much leaner solution than the rp2040w which imho adds a lot of bloat and complexity to the rp2040 code

MiR

Thaddy

• Censorship about opinions does not belong here.
And it has party tricks: either device can be master or slave depending on your mood of plugging in the usb-c powersupply..
I have my red and green markers out of the cupboard to make me remember how to plug in.
Will keep you posted about the project.
Of course the national anthem of the U.S.A. was written by Jimi Hendrix, didn't you know that?

avra

• Additional info
MCU can drive only a very limited current on it's pins, and without care you can easily hear a bang or smell a smoke  ;D. You need a driver circuit for high current actuators like solenoids, motors... And driver needs to match an actuator. Also some drivers require 5V logic while most MCUs provide 3.3V. Some MCUs are 5V tolerant on inputs (all inputs can be burnt if not protected properly), but need voltage level convertor to output 5V. You can find lots of drivers on Ali and eBay, and easiest way is to search for <arduino your-actuator-name driver>. However, you can be sure that it will work with your MCU only after reading datasheets of your actuator and driver (or driver chip) and looking at manufacturer's schematics if available. For a newbie, I would recommend searching the net for some example with schematics exactly for your specific MCU, if possible using some ready to use driver from Ali/eBay, and then purchase exactly that driver model. If you just want mailbox notification, you might use Home Assistant with some RF or WiFi integration (ESP32 I/O is best supported but there are other options). There you use MCU's as a dummy plug-and-play I/O and then do all the logic on pc in your favorite programming language. To do almost the same but without Home Assistant, you can use Firmata firmware for your MCU and then communicate with pc using some pc firmata lib. If I had to choose, I would use ESP32 MQTT server if I have 24/7 power available in mailbox, or ESP32 MQTT client that sleeps and just wakes on event and sends data to local Pi MQTT server if I have to power from a battery. Also, if you want your device to run reliably 24/7, you have to run a watchdog and implement a brownout detection.

https://learn.adafruit.com/use-dc-stepper-servo-motor-solenoid-rp2040-pico/solenoids
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mailbox+detector+home+assistant&ia=web
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mailbox+detector+arduino&ia=web
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 04:23:59 pm by avra »
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

MarkMLl

The board is something different, it has an rp2040 and for wifi one can use the extra esp32-c3 soldered on the board.

Both devices talk to each other over a serial port.
From my point of view a much leaner solution than the rp2040w which imho adds a lot of bloat and complexity to the rp2040 code

MiR

Also leaves the flashable LED on the expected pin. I've got an RP2040W but haven't invested time into it.

When I was sniffing around in the region of Pico + Fuzix + 8266, the potential choices appeared to be /either/ an AT-style interface /or/ Packet Driver... with lots of people leaning towards Packet Driver as an antiquated- if not venerable- standard but not a great deal being done with it.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

TinyPortal © 2005-2018