Recent

Author Topic: license question for db components  (Read 5259 times)

3rdshiftcoder

license question for db components
« on: May 01, 2009, 04:23:53 am »
hi-
i read while browsing tonight the lcl can be linked statically and free for commercial use.
At linux today there was an article that firebird is free for commercial.
As i havent downloaded Lazarus in ages, in the component directory with Zeos components or the components without Zeos, what would be the license terms? I want to make very clear that i'd like to stay away from GPL as i had a project in Java and part of the issue with my code i worked hard on is the GPL makes it difficult for me to even redistribute my application for free on the net. I dont want to be a lawyer and pretend i can understand the in's and out's of the gpl. I only understand linking to lgpl and the linking to lcl because someone was nice enough to put it in the lazarus faq. I am NOT a lawyer! Any advice on db firebird component licensing would be very helpful in my decision. If the db has gpl implications i will probably carefully choose some other project/language that is bsd friendly. One last thing i just thought of is so what license would you release the program under if you linked to lcl which is lgpl?
thanks for any assistance -3rdshiftcoder

3rdshiftcoder

Re: license question for db components
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 05:06:40 am »
hi -
i searched and found that i could release under a license of my choosing even though my code would be linked to lcl. that doesnt take into account the db question i am still unclear on. i read that zeoslib in general might be gpl so i am thinking not good if gpl is a problem for me. i wonder if there are any db controls not tied to gpl? i will download lazarus tomorrow night and look if no one knows off hand . i am interested in firebird or postgres components (if postgres has embedded capability)

thanks for any help. i am trying to get this straight and choose a path before i even write 1 line of code. i failed to do so in a java project. mixed lgpl, gpl, apache 2.0, maybe a sun license (dont know how others got around it...problem) Needed to be a lawyer to figure it all out so i just took it down from my site.

SirHelly

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 02:17:35 pm »
hi,
For zeos:  please read http://zeos.firmos.at/viewtopic.php?t=1089&highlight=licence+license or the licence text in the zeos distribution.
zeos is lgpl with static linking exception.

HTH,
  helmut

3rdshiftcoder

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 06:48:44 pm »
hi-

thanks very much for your response to zeos and licensing. i am very frustrated with a past mistake i made on licensing and this help is immensely appreciated so i dont make the same mistake twice.

jim

TinyPortal © 2005-2018