Forum > General

[SOLVED] Bootstrapping a new version of FPC (here 3.3.1) with all tools

(1/4) > >>

AxBen:
Hi, I'm new to FPC and would like to compile a new version (fpc, fpcmake, ppdump, etc) from the sources (or not - see below) for Windows 64.

I see that updates are here (http://downloads.freepascal.org/fpc/snapshot/v33/x86_64-win64/README-fpc-3.3.1.x86_64-win64.built.on.x86_64-linux).
I can extract the above file over an existing FPC 3.2.2 installation, but some files are missing; however, using ppcrossx64, I'm able to compile my code - but this is most certainly not the preferred solution(?).

Will I need to compile (how?) the rest of the tools, or is there an analogous download for the "delta"?

Thaddy:
you will need 3.2.0 or 3.2.2 to bootstrap the main/trunk compiler.
AND YOU SHOULD NOT DO IT ANY DIFFERENT. Always use the previous compiler version to bootstrap a current one.

Best way for people who are new is to use fpcupdeluxe which is cross platform.

BTW: 3.2.2 is the current release compiler, so do not start with main/trunk. It is officially not stable.
3.2.3 is allowed  :D

TRon:
Hello and welcome AxBen,

--- Quote from: AxBen on February 27, 2024, 07:16:12 pm ---I can extract the above file over an existing FPC 3.2.2 installation, but some files are missing; however, using ppcrossx64, I'm able to compile my code - but this is most certainly not the preferred solution(?).

--- End quote ---
In that case you would have to tell more. ppcrossx64 is only used when you cross-compile.... why should you do/use that when you have FPC 64-bit installed ?

--- Quote ---Will I need to compile (how?) the rest of the tools, or is there an analogous download for the "delta"?

--- End quote ---
See also buildfaq (though it is a bit outdated the main rules still apply).

You check out the latest sources either from gitlab or github (you can also download the archived version), extract that and use make to build the compiler.

As Thaddy mentioned you need a bootstrap compiler as well as the basic tools (make, binutils  etc) in order to be able to make the build.

marcov:
FPC currently only distributes the crosscompiler afaik.

AxBen:
Thx for the answers so far; but... ;-)

@TRon
--- Quote ---why should you do/use that when you have FPC 64-bit installed
--- End quote ---
Well, I'm under the impression that there's not native 64-bit fpc.exe for 3.2.2. The installer lets me install the 64-bit version but, as it turns out, there's just the cross-compiler that allows me to create 64-bit output (maybe I'm completely blind though...). fpc.exe is x86 and after the installation there's only a "bin\i386-win32" directory.

@Thaddy
Would you please tell me where I can find fpcupdeluxe (and a little bit more on the installation/update process itself)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version