Forum > Other

"Non-English speaking" or "English as a second language" programmers

(1/25) > >>

Ten_Mile_Hike:
As a native American 99% of everything that I search for regarding programming is in English.
The remaining 1% are in French, German, and Russian all of which I can simply copy&Paste into
Google Translate with varied success. I understand that many sites like even this one have language
specific forums, but still...

This got me to wondering if all of you who don't speak English as your first language find the
internet, and programming sites in particular, to be a burden to read and understand. I
personally have a hard enough time as it is understanding programming discussions in English.
I can't imagine trying to follow a technical discussion in Russian.

Kudos to you guys and gals!!!

TRon:
The first programming language I came in contact with was basic. After seeing the first goto statement i realized programming languages are created with the English language in mind. So, I started to learn English  :)

And yes, as English isn't my first language I have a difficult time discussing (certain complicated) topics simply because I am unable to express myself in the same way that I would be able to in my native tongue. Of course this is a learning curve and it tend to get better over time ... but still.

The good thing is that code tends to explain itself so whenever not feeling comfortable with the explanations it is still possible to get the gist of what was discussed. Whenever code does not explain itself there usually is something wrong with the code/solution/implementation.

BTW there are excellent French and German forums with regards to Pascal programming.

But you have a point as it seems that most (if not all) AI models are trained using the English language which I fear will further decline the use of (other) native languages.

Martin_fr:

--- Quote from: Ten_Mile_Hike on February 11, 2024, 10:08:38 pm ---As a native American

--- End quote ---
According to professor Higgins from "My fail lady" in reference to English as spoken language:  In America, they haven't used it for years!
;) ;)
SCNR

--- Quote ---This got me to wondering if all of you who don't speak English as your first language find the
internet, and programming sites in particular, to be a burden to read and understand. I
personally have a hard enough time as it is understanding programming discussions in English.
--- End quote ---

May I open my response by outlining a few assumptions on what you implicitly may have put into your question. The perceived burden is solely to be determined by the barrier posed by the language, but not so much by the content itself? Neither, if the author did a good job in finding the right words and amount thereof, to be neither too short nor too elaborative? And neither the general pain of gleaning information from the net, having to establish the correctness of any content gathered?
If you considered those points as to be read from between the lines, then I can in all simplicity give you the answer that is: No, I don't find it a burden. (Not any more, anyway)

440bx:

--- Quote from: TRon on February 11, 2024, 10:23:59 pm ---But you have a point as it seems that most (if not all) AI models are trained using the English language which I fear will further decline the use of (other) native languages.

--- End quote ---
There are really extremely few areas where the English language has had as much of an influence as it has had in computing.  The only other area that comes to mind is aviation where English is the standard language (an air traffic controller _must_ speak English to a reasonable level.)

Both occurrences have one thing in common, commercial computing and commercial aviation started in the U.S, therefore all specs, definitions and knowledge of the field was initially entirely communicated in English. 

Used to be that if you wanted really advanced books on chess, the only true available source of advanced analysis and tactics were only available in Russian.  To some extent this is still true in Math.  The Russian textbooks used in a "lowly" technical college make the textbooks used in M.I.T look like kindergarten stuff (mathematical origami... <chuckle>)

--- Quote from: Martin_fr on February 11, 2024, 10:36:37 pm ---According to professor Higgins from "My fail lady" in reference to English as spoken language:  In America, they haven't used it for years!
;) ;)

--- End quote ---
Love it !!  That's particularly true for some areas of the U.S.

Kays:

--- Quote from: Ten_Mile_Hike on February 11, 2024, 10:08:38 pm ---[…] all of you who don't speak English as your first language find the internet, and programming sites in particular, to be a burden to read and understand. […]
--- End quote ---
I love learning languages (both, programming and natural languages) so it isn’t so much of a burden as it is catering to my curiosity. I’ve been given to understand, though, that in a CS 101 and other early‑studies classes (at university) students complained about the lack of non‑English resources, I suppose because it is difficult and distracting.

--- Quote from: 440bx on February 11, 2024, 10:41:33 pm ---[…] The only other area that comes to mind is aviation where English is the standard language (an air traffic controller _must_ speak English to a reasonable level.) […]
--- End quote ---
Since the Tenerife airport disaster ATC chatter has been standardized, though, so you don’t have to be capable of forming novel sentences (and actually it’s kind of forbidden). Air traffic controllers (on the ground) need to prove C1 English proficiency mainly to deal with contingencies, I guess?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version