Recent

Author Topic: From Windows 10 to Linux Raspberry pi Desktop 32bit Lazarus error...  (Read 946 times)

Robert W.B.

• Love my Wife, My Kids and Lazarus/Freepascal.
Hi. Lazarus/Freepascal friends and developers.
I tried to install Lazarus in Raspberry Pi Desktop, on a old computer, Fujitsu AH531/GFO and raspberry pi Desktop works great but, the lazarus installion dosen't work when starting up after installation!
Now that the world is a technology waste after October 2025 240 million PC's will be useless unless we can use these computers for Linux! This is where Lazarus is needed, which is such a competent tool for software development. That's why it's very important to make sure that Lazarus works flawlessly to install on linux, which I don't experience today compared to Windows, unfortunately. When I install the nice Lazarus on Raspberry pi Desktop, when you start up Lazarus, you get an error message, that ide/lazarus.lpi does not exist! Here, as a user, you do not see what needs to be done to make the lazarus work! Here you need the skills to build the installation for Linux OS. Finally, I would like to ask my question. How can we install 32bit Lazarus, in an easy way on Raspberry Pi Desktop?
Thank you for giving me the floor.
Sincerely
Old Bob
By the way: I surf from Raspberry Pi Desktop right now, on one of my old computers.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 05:36:33 pm by Robert W.B. »
Rob

440bx

Re: From Windows 10 to Linux Raspberry pi Desktop 32bit Lazarus error...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 05:41:31 pm »
Now that the world is a technology waste after October 2025
I probably missed something but... what's significant about October 2025 ?... what difference does it make as far as technology goes ?
(FPC v3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.2) or (FPC v3.2.2 and Lazarus v3.1 both fixes) on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

TRon

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 05:56:29 pm »
Fujitsu AH531/GFO and raspberry pi Desktop works great but, the lazarus installion dosen't work when starting up after installation!
Which installation ? how did you install ?

The error message you mentioned does not ring a bell. Screen shot or better yet some real textual output please..

Lazarus runs fine on real pi hardware so can't imagine your hardware doesn't unless having even more memory constraints.

@440bx: Perhaps M$ is preparing (a decade in advance) for the 2035 issue ?  :)

Curt Carpenter

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 05:57:38 pm »
Is there a reason why you want to use RPi Desktop linux in particular?  You might have better luck starting with a different linux on your PC.

FWIW, I have Lazarus/FPC running on an actual RPi (see here for guidance:  https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_on_Raspberry_Pi ) and on my old 32-bit PC running Ubuntu linux, so it does work (great, on my PC, slow on my RPi3b) .

Robert W.B.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 06:12:23 pm »
Windows 10 will reach end of support on October 14, 2025. The current version, 22H2, will be the final version of Windows 10, and all editions will remain in support with monthly security update releases through that date. Existing LTSC releases will continue to receive updates beyond that date based on their specific lifecycles.

So, what to run Lazarus on what PC's ?
In my case, Not on Windows expansive machines anymore linux is better for the environment.

Sincerely
Old Bob
Rob

Dzandaa

• From C# to Lazarus
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2024, 06:26:42 pm »
Hi
@Robert W.B.

Why do you use Raspberry Pi Desktop?

On old P.C., I use Linux Mint 20.3 for 64 Bits P.C.

https://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php

You can try it by creating and booting from a CD first, and if it is running then install it on the hard disk.
Lazarus is easy to install on it.
And Mint,  possibly use the NVidia acceleration :)

I use Cinnamon version, that looks close to Microsoft Windows but you also can try XFCE version (lighter)

B->

Dzandaa

TRon

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2024, 06:39:41 pm »
Windows 10 will reach end of support on October 14, 2025.
Not that I want to defend any products coming form m$ but they are already backing off on the TPM and secure boot crap. At least there are workarounds. Thus in case that is your main concern there is no need. M$ is also aware of the minimal requirements being ridiculous and they'll shoot their own foot if they keep being persistent.

Other than that you can't start soon enough using *nix.  I (still) have Linux running on old 386 hardware though in order to setup you would have to dive a bit deeper into things (and no it will not run Crysis  :) ).

Robert W.B.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2024, 06:43:03 pm »
Here is a png of the problem!

sudo apt-get install lazarus
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 06:46:18 pm by Robert W.B. »
Rob

TRon

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2024, 06:45:37 pm »
Here is a png of the problem
Thank you for posting.

Lazarus 2.0.10 is ages old. Please update to 3.0. If you have no idea how then I would advice to read up on FPCUpDeluxe.

Ridiculous that they are still shipped that version. If not mistaken then it was already distributed with good ol' Jessie.

Note that in order to avoid any issues you would have to make sure to uninstall both Lazarus and Free Pascal and clear up any remnants before using FPCUpDeluxe.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 06:55:33 pm by TRon »

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2024, 10:21:18 am »
OK Robert, tetrastes has nailed it. Some time ago, Debian made a mistake with its packaging of Lazarus. It was quickly corrected and we all forgot about it. But Raspian turned out to based on a snapshot of Debian at that time and, apparently, it was not corrected. Waste of time to go into the details, real issue, as TRon pointed out, is why are you using such an old Raspian ?  And why are you using Raspian at all ?  If your hardware is not Raspberry Pi, its very, very hard to imagine why. I don't even use the Raspberry Pi Operating System on my Raspberry Pis unless I want to do some of hardware dependent I/O things.

Old hardware is grist for the mill for Linux, please look at one of the mainstream Linux distros and use a current one. Not much point fleeing from an aging unsupported Windows just to use an aging unsupported  Linux. And a fresh distro will have a current FPC and, probably a usable Lazarus.

I suggest Debian itself using a Mate or Xfce desktop, or MXLinux using Xfce, lots and lots of others.  Avoid anyone using Gnome or KDE desktops, and, I guess it needs be 32bit (?), eliminating Ubuntu and Mint for example.

Davo
Lazarus 2, Linux (and reluctantly Win10, OSX)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

Dzandaa

• From C# to Lazarus
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2024, 10:35:36 am »
Hi,

Why do you want to use a 32 OS on a 64Bits Notebook?

Based on the characteristics of the Fujitsu:
https://www.productindetail.com/pn/fujitsu-lifebook-ah531-gfo
And processor:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/53438/intel-core-i32350m-processor-3m-cache-2-30-ghz/specifications.html

It must be able to run Linux in 64 Bits.

Give it a try (You also can boot Linux Mint from an USB Key)

Until you click on "Install", it doesn't modify your Hard Disk.

So you can try it without problem.

If you are O.K. with this, you can install Lazarus from Here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Linux%20amd64%20DEB/Lazarus%203.0/

Download the 3 files then double click on each in the file manager then install

order:
fpc-laz_3.2.2-210709_amd64.deb
fpc-src_3.2.2-210709_amd64.deb
lazarus-project_3.0.0-0_amd64.deb

If you have any problem, ask :)

B->

« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 10:53:42 am by Dzandaa »
Dzandaa

Robert W.B.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2024, 12:25:39 am »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
I will look it up.
Sincerely
Old Bob
Rob

TinyPortal © 2005-2018