Forum > Linux

Build IDE Error: Compiler /usr/bin/fpc.exe not found

(1/2) > >>

fournoas:
I installed Lazarus in WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) and ran it successfully. However, the following error occurred when building the IDE:

--- Quote ---Makefile(135,0) Error: linker:*** Compiler /usr/bin/fpc.exe not found. Stop.
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure if this is because the running environment is WSL.

I fixed this by creating an "fpc.exe" file:

--- Quote ---sudo ln -s /usr/bin/fpc /usr/bin/fpc.exe
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure if this is a BUG or not.

Environment:

* WSL2 + Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
* Lazarus 3.0.0 + FPC 3.2.2

TRon:

--- Quote from: fournoas on January 23, 2024, 10:46:03 am ---I'm not sure if this is a BUG or not.

--- End quote ---
And imho neither does make and/or the makefile.

afaik (I do not use WSL or have any experience with it) WSL is a seamless integration of Linux in/to your Windows desktop. So you start the (Linux) IDE in Windows, appearing as a windows application. Then you rebuild your IDE, which technically is done in Linux. Though you (still) run on Windows. Which make command is invoked (Windows .exe or Linux executable) ? So what does make think it is running on ?

fournoas:

--- Quote from: TRon on January 23, 2024, 10:55:53 am ---
--- Quote from: fournoas on January 23, 2024, 10:46:03 am ---I'm not sure if this is a BUG or not.

--- End quote ---
And imho neither does make and/or the makefile.

afaik (I do not use WSL or have any experience with it) WSL is a seamless integration of Linux in/to your Windows desktop. So you start the (Linux) IDE in Windows, appearing as a windows application. Then you rebuild your IDE, which technically is done in Linux. Though you (still) run on Windows. Which make command is invoked (Windows .exe or Linux executable) ? So what does make think it is running on ?

--- End quote ---

WSL2 is essentially a Linux system running in a Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machine.
I installed the Linux version of Lazarus (lazarus-project_3.0.0-0_amd64.deb) and used XServer to display the Lazarus GUI in Windows desktop. Technically this should be a complete Linux(Ubuntu 20.04 LTS) environment.
I tried to rebuild the IDE in the main menu "Tools"-"Build Lazarus with Profile: XXXX", then the error occurred.
I didn't find which Makefile caused the problem

TRon:
@fournoas:
It is not about which makefile causes the error (they all will) it is about using WSL (similar as using Wine on Linux) and its configuration that allows (forces ?) to let Windows execute the make command regardless whether or not it is a Windows .exe or a Linux executable.

First come, first serve and I assume you do not have your Linux paths take precedence in your path environment variable (for Wine it is exactly the other way around  :) ).

fournoas:
I see...
I tested with "which make" command in WSL2 and the result was "/usr/bin/make"

emmm, I think I'd better switch to a real Linux system, thank you

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version