Recent

Author Topic: How do I get my merge request to go forward?  (Read 1403 times)

Interferon

How do I get my merge request to go forward?
« on: August 08, 2023, 08:50:12 pm »
About a month ago I added some code to the RTL to enable CH32V microcontrollers to be used as a target.  I also fixed a register allocation bug in for the RV32E extension.
It now says it can't be merged because of a conflict.

So what did I do wrong that made the merge never happen?

The merge request is 427.

Eugene Loza

• My games in Pascal
Re: How do I get my merge request to go forward?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 08:31:24 am »
You (most likely) did nothing wrong. A merge conflict happens when two different users modify the same line of the same file independently (a bit more complicated than that, but to simplify things). The notice about merge conflict means someone out there modified the lines you've modified too - that's all. GIT as a system cannot decide whose changes should take precedence and this way simply notifies you to "take a look and resolve the issue". So this is what you should do. Try to merge locally and resolve the merge conflict, then commit the result. Sometimes it is easy and trivial. Sometimes it's next to impossible.

Note that depending on situations merging a pull request may take a very long time and it may run into multiple sequential merge conflicts this way. So, it's a good idea to wait for some review (maybe the PR will not be merged at all or significant changes will be requested) before spending a lot of time on resolving merge conflicts. Unfortunately "clean state" significantly increases speed and chance that your pull request will be reviewed and some resolution will be made.
My FOSS games in FreePascal&CastleGameEngine: https://decoherence.itch.io/ (Sources: https://gitlab.com/EugeneLoza)

ccrause

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 07:47:02 pm »

It appears that Makefile.fpc is causing the conflict. Recently the RTL was updated to work with dotted unit names which required modifications to a bunch of makefile templates.

PascalDragon

• Compiler Developer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 09:57:14 pm »

You'll need to rebase your branch to current trunk and push that to your merge request.

Nothing. These things simply happen if no one who's experienced enough in the topic in question has the time to deal with it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018