Recent

Author Topic: Who uses "caret past EOL"?  (Read 3244 times)

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
Re: Who uses "caret past EOL"?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2023, 11:31:22 pm »
Question is the other way round, would it bother you if the default was for it to only be around 100 extra? (with the option to switch back to the large one)

Probably not.

Would it (the amount of extra colums) be configurable?

Bart

RayoGlauco

• Beers: 1567
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2023, 12:58:45 am »
In my case, I very rarely get past column 150.
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.

dbannon

• tomboy-ng, a rewrite of the classic Tomboy
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2023, 05:42:20 am »
I would think a 100 char beyond the longest line would be more than adequate, I cannot imagine typing text beyond a large block of whitespace, it would be quite confusing. Sometimes I like to have comments line up and that means starting some small white space beyond existing code but never a 100 characters beyond.

Davo
Lazarus 2, Linux (and reluctantly Win10, OSX)
My Project - https://github.com/tomboy-notes/tomboy-ng and my github - https://github.com/davidbannon

440bx

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2023, 06:15:10 am »
I would think a 100 char beyond the longest line would be more than adequate,
I agree, I think that even 50 characters would probably be, at least, adequate.
(FPC v3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.2) or (FPC v3.2.2 and Lazarus v3.2) on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

MathMan

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2023, 12:01:37 pm »
I do use 'caret past EOL' regularly when editing text (of any form, not source code only).

I'm with 440bx that the most important thing is the caret to stay coloumn-fixed when scrolling up/down - behaviour like in Notepad++ is giving me the creeps.

Regarding sizing of scrollbar - I wouldn't size it to longest line or longest line+constant. Instead I would take a relative approach like constant*longest line. That in mind from an aesthetic prespective the golden ration springs to mind for the constant.

Just my 2c,
MathMan

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2023, 12:23:24 pm »
behaviour like in Notepad++ is giving me the creeps.

Off topic: Enable "Virtual Space" in editor options of NotePad++

MathMan

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2023, 12:42:57 pm »
behaviour like in Notepad++ is giving me the creeps.

Off topic: Enable "Virtual Space" in editor options of NotePad++

Too sad - v7.8.6 installed (company policy), but above is "new to v8.4.3" - but thanks anyway.

kupferstecher

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2023, 04:26:05 pm »
Do you often need to use the mouse to place the caret into the 1024 space (further than the one-page would allow).

Me not. My code normally is within 80 characters and comments may be longer but starting within the screen width. I won't start anything on character 720 (and for that use the mouse).

- LongestLine + WindowWidthInChars

Basically it should be alright also as default. But the considerations should be on (unexpected) side effects. E.g. using 'LongestLine' means the scrollbar is adjusted after each key pressed while being in the longest line. This could be unbeautiful. Perhaps having fixed steps could be a solution, e.g. using
 Screenwidth + n * 128
steps. Then n is determined depending on LongestLine and WindowWidthInChars.

On the other hand horizontal scrolling is more obvious, when there is less white space "reserved".

Another question is, would large files influence the time of determening LongestLine while typing.

Eugene Loza

• My games in Pascal
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2023, 05:09:44 pm »
If you do, do you use it within the range of the "longest line" only?
I didn't even know if such possibility exists (just double-checked and couldn't find that in Options) and would very welcome this. My lines aren't usually long (except when I sometimes start writing a single-line comment but then get unexpectedly verbose), most often fit within 100 symbols and using only first tiny fraction of the scrollbar is not accurate enough, especially on touchpad.
My FOSS games in FreePascal&CastleGameEngine: https://decoherence.itch.io/ (Sources: https://gitlab.com/EugeneLoza)

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2023, 06:34:39 pm »
If you do, do you use it within the range of the "longest line" only?
I didn't even know if such possibility exists (just double-checked and couldn't find that in Options) and would very welcome this.

The option will be in 2.4 (and is in git main).

Only open point is, what will be the new default (within the default of caret-past-eol enabled)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018