Recent

Author Topic: Would folks find these minor productivity tweaks useful?  (Read 835 times)

EganSolo

Would folks find these minor productivity tweaks useful?
« on: June 01, 2023, 02:51:29 am »
Sometimes, you might think that a tweak would be useful, only to find out that you're the only one who likes it, so I'll run these suggestions by the forum to see what sort of response (if any) they would generate.

These are minor tweaks, nothing dramatic but I think they would boost my (our/everyone?) productivity...

Here goes nothing ...

• Color the focused tab: As I type this, I'm working on a project with sixteen units open in the IDE in two editing windows. When compiling or even when switching from one editor to the other, highlighting the current tab beyond the slightly lighter gray color would be really helpful. For instance, bolding or coloring the file name or coloring the tab a different color would help locate it quickly.
  • Multi-Row components paletteI have fifty one tabs on my components palette. It would be nice to toggle it into multi-row to prevent scrolling left and right. By the way, coloring or highlighting the currently active tab would be great too!
  • Okay, this one is not minor  :) but I had to add it: the ability to customize the appearance of the non-editing windows, in particular, the ability to customize the font in different windows would be awesome. I know it may be A LOT to ask but I thought I'd go ahead and ask anyway.

That's all folks! My wife is calling me to go help with stuff so I gotta run.

Thoughts?

eljo

Re: Would folks find these minor productivity tweaks useful?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 03:51:08 am »
Sometimes, you might think that a tweak would be useful, only to find out that you're the only one who likes it, so I'll run these suggestions by the forum to see what sort of response (if any) they would generate.

These are minor tweaks, nothing dramatic but I think they would boost my (our/everyone?) productivity...

Here goes nothing ...

• Color the focused tab: As I type this, I'm working on a project with sixteen units open in the IDE in two editing windows. When compiling or even when switching from one editor to the other, highlighting the current tab beyond the slightly lighter gray color would be really helpful. For instance, bolding or coloring the file name or coloring the tab a different color would help locate it quickly.
  • Multi-Row components paletteI have fifty one tabs on my components palette. It would be nice to toggle it into multi-row to prevent scrolling left and right. By the way, coloring or highlighting the currently active tab would be great too!
  • Okay, this one is not minor  :) but I had to add it: the ability to customize the appearance of the non-editing windows, in particular, the ability to customize the font in different windows would be awesome. I know it may be A LOT to ask but I thought I'd go ahead and ask anyway.

That's all folks! My wife is calling me to go help with stuff so I gotta run.

Thoughts?
number 1 doesn't matter for me I usually use the ctrl+mouse click to move around relative code and less with the tabs but a faster method to locate the active tab sounds interesting.
number 2 really is not for me I use the component list box exclusively (CTRL+ALT+P) although it is a bit whimsical in lazarus 2.2.6 it is by far the fastest method to find or access components.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 11:21:10 am »
Multi-Row components paletteI have fifty one tabs on my components palette. It would be nice to toggle it into multi-row to prevent scrolling left and right. By the way, coloring or highlighting the currently active tab would be great too!
Some widgetsets have problems with multi-row tabs. The small down-arrow at the right edge of the palette was meant to alleviate the issue. There you can select tabs which are not visible otherwise.
Coloring or highlighting should be possible with custom drawing somehow. Somebody just have to do it. Patches are welcome.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

wp

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 11:42:15 am »
  • Color the focused tab
I know it's not the same, but did you ever try the "packagetabs" (available in "Package" > "Install/uninstall packages")? Combined with moving tabs to the left, this is an extremely useful extension. It's like a grouped listbox and lists the opened units of project and packages under a common header. You can see much more files than with the horizontally arranged, classical tabs this way, and the scrollbar make it easier to get access to the out-of-view units. The active unit is highlighted. A click on a unit moves it into the editor, a middle-click deletes it from the list.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 11:44:38 am by wp »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018