Forum > Linux

Providing *.deb files for RaspberryPi Linux

(1/4) > >>

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno:
Hey distribution team,

Side note: I have no idea if this is the best place to drop this, but I'm guessing the very fine moderators will correct me!!!

Ok, so, from the rumour mill there will be ARM GitHub runners in a not so far future.
When this happens I would like to update my setup-lazarus GitHub action to support linux-arm or linux-aarch64 in it.

For this to happen in the same manner that I'm now supporting Linux, Windows and macOS(Via the binaries provided in Source Forge) I would need a set of .deb binaries for the above mentioned os-arch pairs.

The alternative would be to use fpcup and fpcup-laz, which would be a completely new can of worms to open...

I would much prefer the Source Forge binaries route.

So, my ask is: Are there any plans to facilitate .deb binaries for either linux-arm or linux-aarch64, or both, in the future?

Many thanks in advance!!!

Cheers,
Gus

Curt Carpenter:
Agree with the .deb route.  Creating a package is real work though, and we are all deeply in debt to those who have created the packages we have now.

I wonder if something like a "Go Fund Me" for a project like this would be helpful?     

Easy installation is perhaps the key to growing the FPC/Lazarus user base.  Once you've tried it, I think you're hooked.

PascalDragon:

--- Quote from: Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno on May 24, 2023, 07:25:12 pm ---The alternative would be to use fpcup and fpcup-laz, which would be a completely new can of worms to open...
--- End quote ---

For FPC you can just as well use the distribution independent installer we provide with the downloads.

For Lazarus you can simply download the source and trigger a build using make after all you might want to configure it beforehand anyway.

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno:
Hey Curt Carpenter,

--- Quote from: Curt Carpenter on May 24, 2023, 08:27:43 pm ---Agree with the .deb route.  Creating a package is real work though, and we are all deeply in debt to those who have created the packages we have now.

--- End quote ---

I could not agree more and I want to throw my own kudos to the whole team!!!

--- Quote from: Curt Carpenter on May 24, 2023, 08:27:43 pm ---I wonder if something like a "Go Fund Me" for a project like this would be helpful?     

--- End quote ---

That is not an unreasonable idea, not it's not !!!

--- Quote from: Curt Carpenter on May 24, 2023, 08:27:43 pm ---Easy installation is perhaps the key to growing the FPC/Lazarus user base.  Once you've tried it, I think you're hooked.

--- End quote ---

Again, in complete and total agreement!!!

Cheers,
Gus

Gustavo 'Gus' Carreno:
Hey PascalDragon

--- Quote from: PascalDragon on May 24, 2023, 10:21:54 pm ---For FPC you can just as well use the distribution independent installer we provide with the downloads.

--- End quote ---

I'm sorry to plead complete ignorance of this!! Can you point me in it's direction?

--- Quote from: PascalDragon on May 24, 2023, 10:21:54 pm ---For Lazarus you can simply download the source and trigger a build using make after all you might want to configure it beforehand anyway.

--- End quote ---

Agreed, the download-source-and-trgger-build approach is always feasible...
But my gripe is that I would have to open a complete new can of worms in a language/environment I had so much trouble getting my head around when the system for Linux/Windows/macOS is already working so well!!
For me it would be a complete breeze to actually copy/paste the Linux method, change the appropriate names and, presto, support for ARM(32 or 64 bits)
Having some help from fpcup and fpcup-laz would kinda dampen the can of worms effect, just a tad...
But nothing beats a .deb smooth and clean install, amirite?

And @PascalDragon, sorry to press on, you did not answer my question: Are there any plans for a .deb binary for ARM?

Sorry to be an insisting bastard  :D

Cheers,
Gus

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version