Recent

Author Topic: Console In/Out  (Read 873 times)

Blaazen

• POKE 54296,15
    • Eye-Candy Controls
Console In/Out
« on: May 21, 2023, 12:35:25 am »
I have a question - why is Console designed like that? It does not make sense to me. It was just the plain output a few years ago. Now, there's a single tab and a splitter, options are on the rigth (outup style, line limit).
IMO, options belong to Tools -> Options ... Also, IDE does not remember the position of the splitter so I have to move it to the right anytime I start the IDE.
And why tabs? Can there be more ouputs? How I can activate it?
Lazarus 2.3.0 (rev main-2_3-2863...) FPC 3.3.1 x86_64-linux-qt Chakra, Qt 4.8.7/5.13.2, Plasma 5.17.3
Lazarus 1.8.2 r57369 FPC 3.0.4 i386-win32-win32/win64 Wine 3.21

Try Eye-Candy Controls: https://sourceforge.net/projects/eccontrols/files/

ccrause

Re: Console In/Out
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 08:08:58 am »
This was introduced a while ago to support better terminal emulation.  My preference would be to reduce the screen space occupied by these options, perhaps by moving the options to a popup menu or to the general options as you suggested.  The tab I assume is so that one can view the output with different encodings.  My preference would be to do away with the tab, on a small screen this wastes valuable display space.

MarkMLl

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 11:18:47 am »
I was responsible for at least some of that, since at the time I was looking at various "weird" output- Minitel, tracking XModem protocol, tracking WINCH signals and so on. I was not in a position to request permanent storage of the splitter position etc., that sort of thing was very much "above my pay grade".

When introduced all options worked, however I suspect that some of them have "withered" by now: from what I could tell there were enormous problems tracking UTF-8 output from gdb.

My own feeling is that- if working- they're a useful collection for anybody looking at e.g. a terminal emulator (as distinct from attempting to be a terminal emulator themselves). However they almost certainly need updating to track the good work that Martin's been doing with other stuff, and like many things in the IDE they don't work well with unanticipated screen sizes.

MarkMLl
MT+86 & Turbo Pascal v1 on CCP/M-86, multitasking with LAN & graphics in 128Kb.
Pet hate: people who boast about the size and sophistication of their computer.
GitHub repositories: https://github.com/MarkMLl?tab=repositories

Blaazen

• POKE 54296,15
    • Eye-Candy Controls
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2023, 05:20:10 pm »
OK, so I'd like to have Console I/O without splitter, options moved to Options... or to Popup menu (or both) and its status bar should be configurable too (at least its Visible property). Now, Console has not its own entry in Options (there should be a new node in Environment). If there was plan to have just two tabs then maybe switching by popup menu would be better than tabs since it will save some vertical place.
Some of this I can implement myself (I hope  :)).
I'd like to hear other people (esp. MartinFr) suggestions.
Lazarus 2.3.0 (rev main-2_3-2863...) FPC 3.3.1 x86_64-linux-qt Chakra, Qt 4.8.7/5.13.2, Plasma 5.17.3
Lazarus 1.8.2 r57369 FPC 3.0.4 i386-win32-win32/win64 Wine 3.21

Try Eye-Candy Controls: https://sourceforge.net/projects/eccontrols/files/

TinyPortal © 2005-2018