Recent

Author Topic: Chat bot invasion  (Read 2867 times)

Joanna

Chat bot invasion
« on: April 14, 2023, 06:38:20 am »
There have been some posts recently about chat gpt and ai so I hope I don’t get in trouble for posting this encounter I had with a chat bot.
I think we could all use some comic relief...

Unfortunately the chatbot didn’t seem to know How to do pascal which was kind of disappointing. In fact it gave horrible advice as well as babbling nonsense.
Wait.. maybe I’m being too judgmental, it promised me a nice solution to my question on how to display the numbers from 1 to 2 if I ask it tomorrow! :D

https://usercontent.irccloud-cdn.com/file/xJYEP7Bh/1681441484.JPG

https://usercontent.irccloud-cdn.com/file/FnodAL7V/1681442632.JPG

https://usercontent.irccloud-cdn.com/file/bYJSv97r/1681445094.JPG

https://usercontent.irccloud-cdn.com/file/GU9jRUs9/1681445328.JPG

What does it take to have a Real-time conversation about Pascal with a live human these days?
Honestly I feel kind of exploited. I thought that it might have been a real person at first...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 06:42:49 am by Joanna »
✨ 🙋🏻‍♀️ More Pascal enthusiasts are needed on IRC .. https://libera.chat/guides/ IRC.LIBERA.CHAT  Ports [6667 plaintext ] or [6697 secure] channel #fpc  Please private Message me if you have any questions or need assistance. 💁🏻‍♀️

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
Re: Chat bot invasion
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2023, 09:05:54 am »
Except for an easy to occur coincidence (may even be by intention~) in the first sentence of the very first answer, this does - to me - not at all sound (read) like a chatbot (certainly not one that came to fame recently).

The longer I read on, the more it seems to me that this is someone teasing you. But that someone, seems real to me.

What does it take to have a Real-time conversation about Pascal with a live human these days?
Well, if I am right, you did have that
- a conversation
- real-time (though give or take for: typing speed, translation, ....)
- with live human
- about Pascal

It just wasn't a "serious" conversation. But in above quote, you did not put that on the list of demands. ;) ;) SCNR

Joanna

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2023, 09:14:44 am »
Well you are certainly welcome to go try to talk to it about pascal and see what happens:)

To be honest I thought that it might be a real person at first and tried to help him get set up with irc but the longer I talked the more apparent it became that it was either a bot or a real person babbling incoherently.

I want to be charitable and think that it’s acting that way because it’s a bot
✨ 🙋🏻‍♀️ More Pascal enthusiasts are needed on IRC .. https://libera.chat/guides/ IRC.LIBERA.CHAT  Ports [6667 plaintext ] or [6697 secure] channel #fpc  Please private Message me if you have any questions or need assistance. 💁🏻‍♀️

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 09:31:29 am »
They were acting that way, because the wanted to deliberately annoy you.

If I had to guess (and that is a guess, nothing more): This was someone coming back for "revenge".

If that is the case, then however it does not prove that IRC is the target of "abuse". In fact, not only does it not prove that, but it (very likely) proves that there were non-abuse cases before, but that they were rejected. I.e. someone who previously failed the captcha, and who previously came with honest intention, was to upset to let it go, and came back for pay back.
I say "previously came with honest intention" because spammers only come back to continue their "work", they don't have (or take) the time for such games. And also in order to produce the given answers, that person must have had way more Pascal knowledge than they put on display.

Josh

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 09:41:31 am »
Ai that can not spell?

The best way to get accurate information on the forum is to post something wrong and wait for corrections.

balazsszekely

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2023, 09:50:46 am »
It was a real person. I asked the same question and ChatGPT responded in 2 seconds. See attachment for more details.
I still do not understand why users has to pass some kind of test just to join IRC? A grew up in a communist country and the regime asked similar questions all the time(not about pascal of course). The purpose of questioning was to "learn your place". I have similar feelings here.

Josh

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2023, 09:54:28 am »
um...
anoher topic on irc, is this related to fpc/lazarus? or just a means to boost traffic to irc..
The best way to get accurate information on the forum is to post something wrong and wait for corrections.

balazsszekely

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2023, 09:58:26 am »
um...
anoher topic on irc, is this related to fpc/lazarus? or just a means to boost traffic to irc..

This is not a hijacked thread, so from my part is perfectly fine.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2023, 10:16:57 am »
um...
For now, I have allowed this topic to remain.
I am aware that there is a balance between issues concerning IRC versus the forum.

Thanks for the patience of all those for whom this isn't a primary concern.

ccrause

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2023, 11:04:17 am »
um...
For now, I have allowed this topic to remain.
I am aware that there is a balance between issues concerning IRC versus the forum.

Thanks for the patience of all those for whom this isn't a primary concern.
I share the sentiments of Martin and GetMem.  This topic was posted in the Miscellaneous>Other sub forum, so in my opinion a fair amount of latitute is called for.

Joanna

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2023, 12:02:27 pm »
Ok I forgot to mention that the suspected bot also gave me this link
https://gist.github.com/cloudbender/6bcb4a1b9bd0dbb657f2c4d7d4914db3
It looks like something from a long time ago. Rather impressive code for someone who needs 24 hours to provide a solution for how to display numbers from 1 to two I’d say  :D
They were acting that way, because the wanted to deliberately annoy you.
The bot was not annoying at all in fact it was rather amusing. I kind of liked it but it doesn’t know pascal and it wouldn’t be fair to the humans in channel to give it preferential treatment. 8)

By the way I’m not the only one who thinks it’s a bot  O:-)
Even if we were to go with martins theory that it was a human role playing being a bot it would be disrespectful to come to a channel acting like that so either way the conclusion is the same.

um...
I have no objections to that , but please we only need friendly Helpful helpful humans Who program in pascal! :-*

Joanna

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2023, 12:35:33 pm »
I still do not understand why users has to pass some kind of test just to join IRC?
That is not entirely accurate. It depends upon who the user is. Forum members and people who are known are not tested.
There is also nothing stopping someone from joining channel and striking up a conversation about pascal on their own volition. I really don’t enjoy tracking down people lurking in corners to find out why they are there.

Bots can have all sorts of different behavior depending on how they are coded. This bot was not chat gpt obviously
 I don’t much care for the chat gpt solution because it requires you to have  values For chars memorized. I do not ...
I’d rather do this
Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. For ch:= ‘Z’ downto ‘A’ do
  2.       If odd(ord(ch)) = odd(ord(’Z’))
  3.           Then writeln(ch);

rvk

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2023, 01:00:45 pm »
The bot was not annoying at all in fact it was rather amusing. I kind of liked it but it doesn’t know pascal and it wouldn’t be fair to the humans in channel to give it preferential treatment. 8)
This was definitely not a bot.

But have you considered maybe not everyone wants to answer such question(s) you ask of them?
If that happens, you get that kind of chat.

Not everyone wants to type out such simple code (even if they can) just because someone on IRC asks for it.
I would definitely not like it and leave on the spot, others will entertain you with futile answers.

sketch

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2023, 01:09:03 pm »
Ask me tomorrow
I'll give you a nice solution

In math it's minus six
In accounting it's bankruptcy
Some replies from the chatbot end with a period while others do not.

sorry doing dishes between test questions ...
It doesn't uppercase the first word in a sentence, and ends with an ellipsis?

I'll practice a bit with fpc and you can test me another night
lol
One ? In the middle ?
"Practice a bit" is a human phrase. Why the space before the question marks?

I saw them in concert in Phoenix.
Why would a chatbot answer it saw ABBA in concert in Phoenix?

It is a real person.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 01:20:51 pm by sketch »

Joanna

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2023, 02:05:28 pm »
Why would a chatbot answer it saw ABBA in concert in Phoenix?
To seem human?
It is conceivable that the bot could have built in typos and irregular punctuation to make it seem more human.

The funny thing is at one point it tried to accuse me of accusing it of being ai https://usercontent.irccloud-cdn.com/file/IDQvQlGK/1681473832.JPG

It seems to completely ignore the question when I ask how old the irc account is. I guess it doesn’t know how to check that
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 02:11:48 pm by Joanna »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018