Recent

Author Topic: Unit/package to work with DropBox??  (Read 708 times)

Bitbeisser

Unit/package to work with DropBox??
« on: December 29, 2022, 09:05:40 pm »
I spend a while already searching on the forum, but with very little success. When searching for "dropbox", +95% of all posts found are references of someone sharing some code with it and the few more fitting results were either overly general and/or several years old.

What I am looking is some code on how to log into a DropBox account, retrieve a list of folders on DropBox, creating a list of folders on DropBox (for a new project), set permissions to that list and possibly upload/download files from a local file server to/from DropBox.
So far, I have only been able to find a program (DDN) that does notifications on file changes on DropBox, that could possibly be a start.

Wondering if  anyone has already done this recently or if I have to start this endeavor indeed from scratch...

thanks for any useful info and Happy Holidays,

Ralf

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: Unit/package to work with DropBox??
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 09:22:30 am »
I don't use Dropbox anymore but whenever I need a component or library to work with something, I always search alongside the name Delphi, and only if it doesn't work out of the box (typically if it's designed as a component, but the possibility is still there for libraries), I start porting it.

I think these can be your starting point:

Bitbeisser

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 06:14:16 pm »
I don't use Dropbox anymore but whenever I need a component or library to work with something, I always search alongside the name Delphi, and only if it doesn't work out of the box (typically if it's designed as a component, but the possibility is still there for libraries), I start porting it.
Thanks, I already did that.

But commercial is at least currently out of the question due to the scope of the project I am working on, but I had another look at the Embarcadero blog article and missed the link to the COLIBRI site, I will take a closer look at this.

As mentioned, all I could find (and yes, I did search for Delphi as well  8) ) was either very general (I placed that blog article in that group, but missed the link to that off-site page) or are very old, where it seems it doesn't apply to current DropBox API versions and increased efforts in authentication anymore.

But at least I have one more link that seems at least at a first glance more promising, so thanks for that and a Happy New Year... 8)

Ralf

Bitbeisser

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 06:34:43 pm »
Well, I had a first cursory look at that site linked in the Embarcadero blog article and this seems to have at least all the info I would most likely need to "roll my own". I just haven't done any cloud based application so far, every thing was always local or client/server stuff. So that's a bit of an other learning curve here. That's why I was looking for something that might be a workable easier out of the box, but it looks like this is a good start. I had found that blog article when doing a search before, but initially dismissed it, as it was rather terse...
The direct link to the really interesting (Delphi based) site btw is
http://www.felix-colibri.com/papers/web_services/rest_web_services_oauth2_tutorial/rest_web_services_oauth2_tutorial.html

It has what seems like a nice explanation of the OAuth2 stuff, while a lot of other articles I found were so old they only included OAuth, which seems to be rather dated and not in use anywhere anymore...

Thanks again for your info,

Ralf

magleft

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 01:14:32 pm »
Hello.
Since I would also be interested in uploading and downloading files from dropbox I would like to ask if you have made any progress in creating the relevant library/unit/package.
I would especially be interested in running it on Laz4android.
Thanks
windows 10 64

TinyPortal © 2005-2018