Forum > Suggestions

Using FPC domain for Gitlab

(1/4) > >>

Okoba:
Hello,

I guess this is already an examined case, but I wanted to make sure, as many services, even open ones like GitLab or Docker, are changing and limiting many free features even for open source projects.
I would like to suggest that instead of using the GitLab domain, it may be better to use the FPC domain. This way, if in the future the team chooses to move to a self hosted GitLab version, the posts, links, and many messages will continue to work.

Please feel free to ignore, if this is not possible or not needed.

Bi0T1N:

--- Quote from: Okoba on March 18, 2023, 06:10:11 pm ---I guess this is already an examined case, but I wanted to make sure, as many services, even open ones like GitLab or Docker, are changing and limiting many free features even for open source projects.

--- End quote ---
I haven't read anything about GitLab wanting to restrict their program for open source projects. If they do, there are enough other places (smaller and larger ones) so that it would be counterproductive for them because less new employees will be familiar with the UI of GitLab (=less companies deciding for it).
Docker still has its sponsor program for open source so we just need to hope that they accept our application ;)
If not, there is still the GitLab registry and probably some others. :P

Okoba:
That was not my point. My point was, using FPC domain for repositories, so later on IF, anything changed, all these posts, don't get deprecated.

ccrause:

--- Quote from: Bi0T1N on March 18, 2023, 08:58:01 pm ---I haven't read anything about GitLab wanting to restrict their program for open source projects. If they do, there are enough other places (smaller and larger ones) so that it would be counterproductive for them because less new employees will be familiar with the UI of GitLab (=less companies deciding for it).

--- End quote ---
Well, my fork of FPC source is no longer updated automatically by Gitlab, here is the message I received:

--- Quote ---Your project is no longer receiving GitLab Ultimate benefits as of 2022-07-01. As notified in-app previously, public open source projects on the Free tier can apply to the GitLab for Open Source Program to receive GitLab Ultimate benefits. Please refer to the FAQ for more details.
--- End quote ---
More hoops to jump through.  But this is just a personal inconvenience which can be handled by running a git command on my local git clone to sync between upstream and my fork.

marcov:
If a new gitlab instance is set up, while the hashes might remain the same, things like projectid etc might change, invalidating URLs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version