Forum > macOS / Mac OS X

User informed that application needs updated on Ventura

<< < (2/2)

geraldholdsworth:

--- Quote from: trev on March 11, 2023, 01:04:50 pm ---What is the exact error message that the OS emits for your app? Is there anything in the system log?

--- End quote ---

I'll ask.

geraldholdsworth:

--- Quote from: PierceNg on March 11, 2023, 12:38:43 pm ---You might want to try Open Core Legacy Patcher - https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/

--- End quote ---
Looks interesting, albeit scary to do this on my machine. Think I'll back up my drive before I try it.

--- Quote from: PierceNg on March 11, 2023, 12:38:43 pm ---My 2012 MBP is officially rated good for up to Catalina. It now runs Monterey. Since the Mac can run its OS from external SSD, I may try running Ventura (and Big Sur, if needs be) that way.

--- End quote ---
Mine is also a MBP 2012 with Catalina. It would be good to get a newer OS on it - Office keeps telling me to update, then tells me it can't because I need to update the OS.

PierceNg:

--- Quote from: geraldholdsworth on March 11, 2023, 01:54:16 pm ---
--- Quote from: PierceNg on March 11, 2023, 12:38:43 pm ---You might want to try Open Core Legacy Patcher - https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/

--- End quote ---
Looks interesting, albeit scary to do this on my machine. Think I'll back up my drive before I try it.

--- End quote ---

Here's what I did:

- I have an old external HDD lying around that was previously used for backups. Using OCLP on a thumb drive, I installed Monterey into the HDD. Installation went fine but the HDD was too slow for the OS to be usable.

- I bought a new SSD. Repeated the process. This time Monterey booting off the external SSD was fast enough. With the OCLP thumb drive I could easily reboot between Catalina on the internal SSD and Monterey on the external SSD.

- After a few days of test driving, I backed up the internal disk then installed Monterey on it, with the confidence that I could install Catalina, or Big Sur, maybe Ventura too, on the external SSD and reboot into the various OS versions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version