Recent

Author Topic: Informative article I want to share  (Read 3064 times)

Joanna

Informative article I want to share
« on: February 12, 2023, 02:15:00 am »
This post is sort of inspired by a recent harassment thread

I came across this article about how online communities are attacked.
The article is not specific for any particular community but it claims that even small communities are not immune from being attacked if there is a potential of them becoming large.
I hope it can provide some useful insights to People who need them.

https://cryptome.org/2012/07/gent-forum-spies.htm
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 03:10:51 pm by Martin_fr »
✨ 🙋🏻‍♀️ More Pascal enthusiasts are needed on IRC .. https://libera.chat/guides/ IRC.LIBERA.CHAT  Ports [6667 plaintext ] or [6697 secure] channel #fpc  Please private Message me if you have any questions or need assistance. 💁🏻‍♀️

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
Re: Informative article I want to share
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 09:43:21 am »
I am really tempted to try some of those methods on this very topic itself. ;) ;)

To be clear: me as a user, not in my function as admin/mod.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 09:50:34 am by Martin_fr »

AlexTP

• UVviewsoft
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 10:01:49 am »
Joanna, keep the good work going, please. Trolls are corporate-sponsored fools, ban them all.

Joanna

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 02:51:54 pm »
Joanna, keep the good work going, please. Trolls are corporate-sponsored fools, ban them all.

To be honest I’m really tired of them. I was thinking recently about how much of my life has been squandered dealing with the wrong people I would much rather have good chats about pascal and other interesting topics.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 02:57:01 pm by Joanna »
✨ 🙋🏻‍♀️ More Pascal enthusiasts are needed on IRC .. https://libera.chat/guides/ IRC.LIBERA.CHAT  Ports [6667 plaintext ] or [6697 secure] channel #fpc  Please private Message me if you have any questions or need assistance. 💁🏻‍♀️

AlexTP

• UVviewsoft
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 02:54:10 pm »
You can make moderation in the chat more cruel, don't you?

Joanna

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 03:10:14 pm »
You can make moderation in the chat more cruel, don't you?

These people seem to have a never ending supply of accounts and IP addresses. But even so, I want to emphasize that Moderation is the easy part. Getting good people to come and be active is the hard part. As a rule of thumb people are hard to get and easy to lose especially now that pascal is not as popular as it once was.

I consider an irc channel or forum to be a success when there are enough people to Have good on topic  conversations without any effort on my part.

440bx

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2023, 04:14:27 pm »
I am really tempted to try some of those methods on this very topic itself. ;) ;)
That would be a genuinely positive use of a set of actions that are generally negative. 

@Joanna

Fortunately and likely because of the well balanced efforts from the moderators, the problems enumerated in the article you linked to don't apply to this forum.  Because of that, it is a bit peculiar for you to mention it here.  That said, thank you for exposing a long list of problems we _don't_ have. 

Also, as the moderator of that channel it is incumbent upon you to solve whatever problems exist there.  There is no reason to "export" the problems that channel may or may not have to this forum.

(FPC v3.0.4 and Lazarus 1.8.2) or (FPC v3.2.2 and Lazarus v3.2) on Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

Joanna

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2023, 04:36:24 pm »
Fortunately and likely because of the well balanced efforts from the moderators, the problems enumerated in the article you linked to don't apply to this forum.  Because of that, it is a bit peculiar for you to mention it here.  That said, thank you for exposing a long list of problems we _don't_ have. 
I think you have misunderstood my intentions. I was by no means criticizing how this forum is managed. My objective is to educate people about techniques That have been successfully used to wreck all sorts of communities. Hopefully people will understand what is happening should they encounter them at some future date anywhere including but not limited to forums.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 03:12:10 pm by Martin_fr »

Blaazen

• POKE 54296,15
    • Eye-Candy Controls
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2023, 05:02:33 pm »
Apparently, aside of "The Art of Computer Programming" from D. Knuth must exist "The Art of Computer Trolling" written by unkown hero.
Lazarus 2.3.0 (rev main-2_3-2863...) FPC 3.3.1 x86_64-linux-qt Chakra, Qt 4.8.7/5.13.2, Plasma 5.17.3
Lazarus 1.8.2 r57369 FPC 3.0.4 i386-win32-win32/win64 Wine 3.21

Try Eye-Candy Controls: https://sourceforge.net/projects/eccontrols/files/

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2023, 05:51:48 pm »

EDITED: Changed previous moderation note.

Please stick to the topic of the external article.

Please to not accuse random members of the forum. If you feel something was missed by the moderation team => report it to moderators.

All non compliant posts will be removed.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 03:15:36 pm by Martin_fr »

Joanna

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2023, 07:46:02 pm »
Apparently, aside of "The Art of Computer Programming" from D. Knuth must exist "The Art of Computer Trolling" written by unkown hero.

A lot of these techniques are present in many forms and are by no means limited to computing. It is a form of psychological warfare really.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2023, 07:56:09 pm »
Locked, as this is simply picking up another locked thread.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 03:17:05 pm by Martin_fr »

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2023, 03:18:26 pm »
Cleaned the topic up (Several posts were edited by me). Reopened.

Stick to the before mentioned rules.

PierceNg

• SamadhiWeb
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2023, 04:16:04 pm »
This thread should have the #1 technique - forum sliding - applied to it. Let all the other useful (and even not so useful) posts slide this thread out of view and flush it away.

Bogen85

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2023, 05:46:27 pm »
This thread should have the #1 technique - forum sliding - applied to it. Let all the other useful (and even not so useful) posts slide this thread out of view and flush it away.

I guess I'm a bit slow today.
Took me a little bit to figure out what you were getting at.

Good one.  :)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018