Recent

Author Topic: Error: Project raised exception class 'External:SIGSEGV'.  (Read 249772 times)

lazyprogrammer21

Re: Error: Project raised exception class 'External:SIGSEGV'.
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2011, 04:00:48 pm »
Hello,
about the Comodo's guard32.dll.
Here is the working solution.

But first, if you are using Comodo Firewall, please do not disable or uninstall it. IMO there is no better free protection for the leaky Windows than Comodo's Firewall & Defence+ security mechanism. So, please DO NOT uninstall Comodo!!!

The solution to SIGSEGV problem concerning Comodo Firewall

Note: I use Comodo Firewall 5.4 and Lazarus 0.9.30.
I installed Lazarus to: C:\Dev\lazarus
I store all my Lazarus projects at: C:\Dev\projects\pascal

Do as follows:
  • Open the Comodo Firewall main window
  • switch to the Defence+ tab
  • click on the Defence+ Settings button
  • inside the Defence+ Settings window, switch to Execution Control Settings tab
  • then click on the Exclusions button
  • inside the Exclusions window then click on the Add button, and then choose the Browse... command from the popup menu
  • inside the Please drag and drop your selection in the 'Selected items' section window, in the Existing items section find and highlight the Lazarus installation directory (mine is C:\Dev\lazarus),
  • add the highlighted directory to the Selected items list by clicking the -> button
    Note: the exclusion conserns everything that is inside the selected directory, and in its subdirectories
  • repeat actions 7-8, but this time find and select the directory (or directories) where you keep your Projects' files (mine are saved in C:\Dev\projects\pascal)
    Note: again, you only have to select the main directory, the subdirectories of it will be then excluded as well
  • then click the Apply button (inside Please drag and drop... window)
  • then click the Apply button (inside Exclusions window)
  • then click the OK button (inside Defence+ Settings window)
  • restart Lazarus IDE, and that should do it (no more gdb.exe exception for guard32.dll)

I hope this will help.
For me it worked. And sorry, I do not know how the same thing could be achieved with other firewall software.
On the other hand, maybe I know ;)
Get rid of your current firewall and get yourself the one that is the best on the (free) market, that is the Comodo Firewall (I use it along with Avira Antivirus and I could not be happier), and add the piece of configuration as described above to make the GNU debugger work again.

Cheers,

M[a]nny

• Dreamer
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2011, 02:41:01 am »
lazyprogrammer21, thanks for the solution, it works like a charm! :)
Bad news: Time flies.
Good news: You are the pilot.

Don't try to be perfect, just be unique.

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2011, 01:53:16 pm »
One similar debugger problem was fixed by replacing GDB with an old one. You can try that. The problem affected only WinXP, and was discussed here:
http://www.pilotlogic.com/sitejoom/index.php/forum/10-installationsetup/1189-gdb-problem-in-ct-200#1189
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 01:55:05 pm by avra »
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

ehusmann

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2011, 06:47:01 pm »
Being a new user of Lazarus, but a long time user of Delphi, I ran into the SIGSEGV problem yesterday. It happens when using the PDO units, but somehow I have the feeling it has little to do with that. Weird thing, to me, is that the problem occurs at the same point in the units. When I comment out the line the error happens on, I still get it on that line. When I add empty white lines, it still happens on the same line, etc etc.

I am using Lazarus 0.9.30 on Windows 7. Disabling the debugger didn't help, it just turned the error into an access violation. I am not using Comodo, so the well documented Comodo solution doesn't work for me. Anybody any other ideas about what I could do to get rid of this error?

THANKS!!
Erwin

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2011, 07:24:15 pm »
Before giving up Lazarus, you could try Lazarus CodeTyphon edition. But remember to first uninstall all previous Laz/FPC, and to install LazCT as admin user. Otherwise it will not work.
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

User137

• Nxpascal home
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2011, 07:51:00 pm »
... Anybody any other ideas about what I could do to get rid of this error?
THANKS!!
Erwin
Is the application small enough so i could try compile and test it? SIGSEGV normally only happens if you have written error somewhere. Trying to access uninitialized objects, pointers etc.

ehusmann

« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2011, 04:20:40 pm »
Hi User137, yes the project isn't that big. In fact I was only just starting with it and it is basically only for testing something. However, it is with the PDO (Pascal Data Object) units to test the connection to a MySQL server. In other words, to test it (and to get the errors) you need to be able to connect to a MySQL server. If you have that installed I am more than happy to send the files to you so you can have a look.

Thanks!

tomday

« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2011, 03:01:01 am »
I am also having a 'External:SIGSEGV' error.

Have Windows XP SP3, AVG Free 2011 2Gig,

Just started a new project and getting the problem;  >:(

How do  I fix this, is it in Lazarus, or Debugger? :o

fhrancis

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2012, 02:51:49 am »
Worked for me  :D
Thanks!!

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2012, 03:14:50 am »
I am also having a 'External:SIGSEGV' error.

Have Windows XP SP3, AVG Free 2011 2Gig,

Just started a new project and getting the problem;  >:(

I have avg and no issues.

- Which version of lazarus?
- 32 or 64 bit?
- Does the project work, if started outside lazarus? (run project1.exe from windows explorer)

If you don't yet use the latest (0.9.30.4) then try that. Or better, try the latest Lazarus 0.9.31 from snapshots.

If you upgrade make sure debugger config is NOT pointing to a previous version
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Debugger_Setup

See also http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/GDB_Debugger_Tips

User137

• Nxpascal home
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2012, 01:31:46 pm »
This is a 6 months old thread... just saying. Projects can evolve alot in the time.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2012, 03:06:32 pm »
Ups, I  didn't check all dates... The last msg before mine was new, causing the thread to appear in "recent unread"....

amadou

« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2014, 04:51:39 pm »
Hello..

I have just  installed Lazarus 1.2.0 on a Win Vista Home Prem 32bit.

Tried to debug a program and got the error message while quitting the program.

I went through the messages and solved the problem with changing the "gdb.exe" with the latest version from : http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/MinGW/Extension/gdb

Thanks.

andreynering

« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2016, 12:51:46 am »
I've got this exact error on Windows 10 (x64): on a new project (just a clean form) I get keep getting the SIGSEGV error and can do nothing at all. The only thing that works is running the .exe a part.

No antivirus or firewall installed. I tried to disable Windows Defender but had no luck.

I'm using the latest Lazarus (1.4.4,  FPC: 2.6.4). The same version works nice on Ubuntu Mate (latest). I've tried the 4.4.2 version as suggested in this other post: http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?topic=29448.0 but had no luck, too.  %)

andreynering

« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2016, 05:45:42 pm »
I've got this exact error on Windows 10 (x64): on a new project (just a clean form) I get keep getting the SIGSEGV error and can do nothing at all. The only thing that works is running the .exe a part.

No antivirus or firewall installed. I tried to disable Windows Defender but had no luck.

I'm using the latest Lazarus (1.4.4,  FPC: 2.6.4). The same version works nice on Ubuntu Mate (latest). I've tried the 4.4.2 version as suggested in this other post: http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?topic=29448.0 but had no luck, too.  %)

Fixed in Lazarus 1.6.0

TinyPortal © 2005-2018