Recent

Author Topic: Novice, linux system Excel data import to DBGRID problem.  (Read 691 times)

jianwt

Novice, linux system Excel data import to DBGRID problem.
« on: February 06, 2023, 06:06:25 am »
Novice, linux system Excel data import to DBGRID problem.
How to import Excel data into a DBGRID under linux (without using the FPSpreadsheet method). Thank you!!

TRon

Re: Novice, linux system Excel data import to DBGRID problem.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 06:10:39 am »
Not knowing anything about fpspreadsheet, I can see some packages that are part of OPM (https://packages.lazarus-ide.org/). That seems to include non-visual packages.

That begs the question: why do you not want to use fpspreadsheet ?

edit:
I just had a look at the fpspreadsheet package and as I suspected fpsreadsheet can work in what the author named "virtual mode" that allows you to load a spreadsheet and export it to a dataset. The virtual mode uses less memory which allows for handling large databases/spreadsheets according to the author

There is a demo named db_export_import that shows how to use the "virtual mode" functionality by importing data from a database (dataset) into a spreadsheet and vice verse.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 06:43:19 am by TRon »

jianwt

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 01:29:58 am »
@TRon
Thank you!!

TRon

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 06:07:31 am »
Hi jianwt

Thank you for thanking me but please don't thank me yet as I am going to bother you (just a little) :)

(feel free to ignore if you can't be bothered)

You might have a very perfect and valid reason not to use fpspreadsheet (I should have mentioned that in my initial; reaction)

I mentioned the example because that uses fpspreadsheet in a non-visual way and using low resources (you could even make a command line program without using any GUI with that functionality).

But what I would like to know, if you would be so kind and be able to answer that question, if that is what was bothering you about using fpspreadsheet (e.g. you got the notion that fpspreadsheet could only be used by using a GUI).

I ask that question because to my knowledge there is not another unit/library (3th party or otherwise) that is able to handle/read excel xls files. But perhaps something else is ground for you to initially discard fpspreasheet. I would appreciate if you could share your knowledge on that so that I can take it into consideration (because I myself am not familiar with fpspreadsheet).

TIA

TinyPortal © 2005-2018