Recent

Author Topic: Support for Git?  (Read 2177 times)

Bogen85

Support for Git?
« on: February 03, 2023, 03:28:12 pm »
It is 10 years later. Does Lazarus IDE support GIT now?

Old thread is here: https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,16934.0.html
Please don't reply to that one.

Bogen85

Re: Support for Git?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 03:31:03 pm »
In General, please don't reply to a 10 year old thread/topic.

If anything, create a new topic and put in a link to old one (like this new topic/thread).

Free Pascal and Lazarus are in git repos now, they have been for several years.

https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org/lazarus
https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/Getting_Lazarus
https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/FPC_git

Bogen85

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 03:35:19 pm »
It is 10 years later. Does Lazarus IDE support GIT now?

Is not a real necessity, there are free GUI tools everywhere for Git, for each OS.
https://git-scm.com/downloads/guis

I can't comment specially on Lazarus SCM support, as I rarely use the IDE, and would not use it SCM directly if I did.
As @lainz has pointed out Lazarus IDE support for SCM is not a real necessity, and I agree.

TRon

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 03:35:59 pm »
FPC lazarus repositories supported git even before it was officially hosted at a git repository (choose the right toolbox) so fr sure that wasn't what TS intended to know with the question.

The answer (as provided in the other thread) is: no, lazarus does not have git integration (there might be a 3th party package out there that i do not know about though).

Th usual suspects would argue that there is no use for integration as there are many tools out there that do it for you. Can't say I share that thought.

Bogen85

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 03:44:24 pm »
Th usual suspects would argue that there is no use for integration as there are many tools out there that do it for you. Can't say I share that thought.

I won't argue on that one as far as how others do development.
I'm just saying from my standpoint.

I know many developers that use and depend on support in their IDEs for SCM, as they manage their projects with their IDE, which includes source code management (and version control for those projects).

Just because I don't work that way (depending on the IDE) I can see that that SCM integration with one's IDE can be extremely useful.

TRon

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 04:05:00 am »
@Bogen85
I admit that there is probably more laziness involved then I want to admit as I do things from a terminal window now. Integration makes (or at least can make) things more efficient.

I am aware that not everyone enjoy such features in the IDE just as I have no use for some of those features that are currently present in Lazarus. But that is the beauty: if you don't like it then don't use/install/activate it.

Most of the (external) tools that are referred to are either overkill, not efficient/logical or not cross-platform. I always seem to return to manual commits using the terminal.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2023, 09:23:13 am »
Most of the (external) tools that are referred to are either overkill, not efficient/logical or not cross-platform.
"gitk" and "git gui" are cross-platform, come with the Git distribution and have the essential features.
For example gitk shows commits and their diffs better than TortoiseGit does.
The graphically pleasing SmartGit Java app is also cross-platform but I don't personally see any real benefit over "gitk" and "git gui".
Maybe I just got used to them, don't know.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2023, 10:47:36 am »
While I myself am very happy with a stand alone git solution, I can see good reasons for integration....

- For those who use a docked IDE, the stand alone git can't be docked...
- If you want to have info on a specific file (that is open in your IDE editor) like working tree diff or log... You have to navigate to that file (or enter its name). In the IDE it is already open.
- Diff integration directly in the source editor

But then, the curious thing is, this topic started of from a 10 your old thread. Wanting to know if 10 years later something had happen.

10 years... And in all that time no one has asked, if they could contribute it.

Given that:
- Everyone using the IDE would likely have some Pascal knowledge
- Those who are interested would know git (at least the basics, and that is all they need)
- There is "lazsvnpkg", which integrates svn. So there is an example that shows how to do it.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2023, 12:39:45 pm »
- There is "lazsvnpkg", which integrates svn. So there is an example that shows how to do it.
That one sucks. I don't remember details but it was not very usable for real development.
Yes, some IDE integration techniques can be studied from it but studying Git integration in competing IDEs is needed, too.

I personally never felt need for such IDE integration but the cases you mention are good.
Lazarus IDE already has an integrated diff tool (Tools -> Compare files) but it is not very good either. Tools like Meld and Kompare etc. provide a nice display of diffs. We should have a similar one.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

DomingoGP

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2023, 05:47:29 pm »
Tools like Meld and Kompare etc. provide a nice display of diffs. We should have a similar one.

Well, we have a package for ide that although it's not like winmerge, meld, etc since it doesn't allow to merge changes, it improves the standard comparison of lazarus-Ide, it doesn't allow to compare with old GIT commits either. See attached image.  :) 

https://github.com/DomingoGP/lazIdeDiffCompareFiles

EDIT: wrong image attached sorry :-)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 05:49:51 pm by DomingoGP »

wp

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2023, 06:21:10 pm »
Nice! But could you add a label with the file name above each synedit? Once I clicked compare I cannot remember which file is in the left, and which one in the right editor.

DomingoGP

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2023, 07:03:11 pm »
Done!  :D

circular

• Personal webpage
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2023, 07:39:14 pm »
This is very cool  :)
Conscience is the debugger of the mind

thierrybo

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2023, 07:47:19 pm »

wp

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2023, 07:51:52 pm »
Done!  :D
Thank you. Another wish: Could you make the combobox items persistent? I mean: When the program is opened again it does not remember the files which had been loaded earlier.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018