Recent

Author Topic: cant install htmlviwer on lazarus 2.3 fpc 3.3.1  (Read 546 times)

alaa123456789

• Try your Best to learn & help others
    • youtube:
cant install htmlviwer on lazarus 2.3 fpc 3.3.1
« on: February 03, 2023, 06:15:27 am »
hello
many components having issues and cant be installed from online package manager on the above mentioned version of Lazarus & fpc  , one of them is htmlviwer
htmlview.pas(4511,30) Error: Operator is not overloaded: "Class Of TFontObj" and "Boolean"

how to overcome these compilation errors on this or on any other components
thanks

balazsszekely

Re: cant install htmlviwer on lazarus 2.3 fpc 3.3.1
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 07:29:20 am »
many components having issues and cant be installed from online package manager on the above mentioned version of Lazarus & fpc  , one of them is htmlviwer
There are exceptions, but packages inside OPM usually works with stable version of FPC/Lazarus(currently FPC 3.2.2 and Lazarus 2.2.4).  If you wish to use developer versions you are on your own.
HtmlViewer: I checked the author's github page, it was modified more then 3 years ago. No wonder it does not work with trunk/main.

how to overcome these compilation errors on this or on any other components
By fixing the issues and creating pull requests, but don't expect OPM to support every available FPC, Lazarus version. I will quote forum user @avra, he explained the issue in one of his earlier post:
OPM is distributed with so many LAZ/FPC combos, that authors even in their craziest effort would not be able to test them all. For example, some users will try to install package on some old LAZ 1.6 with FPC 3.04 on x86 Debian, someone else will try the same package on LAZ 2.0 with FPC 3.2 on x64 Windows, another one will try with LAZ trunk and FPC trunk on Pi (32 or 64) or even some old ARMv5 or ARMv6 board, and another while chasing a bug that shows just on Apple M1. Do you really expect that everything compiles everywhere in all possible combos? That is not a realistic expectation. A package can be made for latest FPC, while you might have old 3.0.4, or FPC and LAZ move on but author did not upgrade his package (or OPM version was not yet updated). To ease things a little, some packages provide info on what platform and FPC/LAZ combos they have been tested. As an example, most of CodeTyphon packages in OPM (they all have pl_ prefix) are tested with stable FPC/LAZ combo on Windows x32 and Linux x64. But even in such a case, you can not expect a Windows specific package to magically work on Linux just because it is available in OPM.

TRon

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 07:49:07 am »
@getmem:
Completely understandable and nicely explained.

However... would it not be possible to make the lazarus / fpc version a dependency of the package itself (so that it can be checked against) ?

Thus a package contains a list of known working fpc / lazarus versions ? If not present then try it anyhows. At leas everyone would then know for which combination it is suppose to work (same for platform as some packages do not support all platforms).

I am aware that this takes more time for the package maintainer/developer but what is the loss if a developer developed his/her package for a particular combo/platform anyway ? it would take next to none additional work to tore that information somewhere that make use to OPM (if it would support it).

Meant as small idea for improvement not to comment on current situation.

alaa123456789

• Try your Best to learn & help others
    • youtube:
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 08:04:13 am »
There are exceptions, but packages inside OPM usually works with stable version of FPC/Lazarus(currently FPC 3.2.2 and Lazarus 2.2.4).  If you wish to use developer versions you are on your own.
HtmlViewer: I checked the author's github page, it was modified more then 3 years ago. No wonder it does not work with trunk/main.
it is not a complain about online package manager , it is good tool , i just wonder that the same htmlviewer package is included in codetyphon with fpc 3.3.1 , i suggest for the experts and who is maintaining Lazarus (which we are grateful for them ) to find a simple to add new packages without affecting the version of lazarus
thanks

balazsszekely

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 08:14:54 am »
@TRon
However... would it not be possible to make the lazarus / fpc version a dependency of the package itself (so that it can be checked against) ?

Thus a package contains a list of known working fpc / lazarus versions ? If not present then try it anyhows. At leas everyone would then know for which combination it is suppose to work (same for platform as some packages do not support all platforms).
You mean like in the attached image1?
There is even a clear warning before install, if the package is not tested on a particular Laz/FPC version or widgetset. Please see attached image2.

Meant as small idea for improvement not to comment on current situation.
No problem. Constructive criticism is always good.

@alaa123456789
it is not a complain about online package manager , it is good tool , i just wonder that the same htmlviewer package is included in codetyphon with fpc 3.3.1 , i suggest for the experts and who is maintaining Lazarus (which we are grateful for them ) to find a simple to add new packages without affecting the version of lazarus
thanks
Codetyphone is a different story, I don't want to go into useless discussions again, however I can promise that if somebody fix htmlviewer I will update the package in OPM.

af0815

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 08:15:47 am »
thanks
This is no work for OPM nor for Lazarus maintainer. If you need it YOU can ask the maintainer of the package for help. If the package is not maintained and noone will do the work, it should removed from OPM in the next release of fpc/lazarus. OPM can only be a plattform for maintained packages (maintained by the owners of the their code).
regards
Andreas

TRon

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 08:21:09 am »
You mean like in the attached image1?
There is even a clear warning before install, if the package is not tested on a particular Laz/FPC version or widgetset. Please see attached image2.
Oops. You got/caught me there  :-[

In that case I have suggested nothing and it is the problem of the end-user if he/she so wishes to ignore all the red signs.

Odd dot releases are a moving target and can't be expected to work as intended so code relying on certain features/behaviour of such release is just plain dumb (and yes that sometimes sucks when there is a slow release cycles rate)

Thank you for having taken the time (and sorry for having wasted it) to set me straight.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018