Forum > Beginners

What are main differences between free pascal and c#?

<< < (8/8)

marcov:

--- Quote from: tetrastes on January 31, 2023, 11:07:47 pm ---
--- Quote from: Warfley on January 31, 2023, 10:17:11 pm ---All you need to know about the the shift to UTF-8 for the windows API is here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/design/globalizing/use-utf8-code-page

--- End quote ---

Thank you, it was informative. But why did you decide that Win API "switched to UTF-8"? There is only the ability to "use UTF-8 code pages in Windows apps" is added, for the main goal

--- Quote ---Use UTF-8 character encoding for optimal compatibility between web apps and other *nix-based platforms
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

MS didn't  switch, it just additionally added UTF8.  I think the main reason is the subsystem for linux work (WSL) that cleared out old cobwebs in the console to make it unicode aware for Linux compat. Dos emulation is also not as important as it was for e.g. Windows XP.

So basically they had done the work, and it was more a case of "why not?".

Dzandaa:
Hello

I've been programming in C# for years since the beginning of .NET and Visual Studio.

My problem was portability.

A windowed program created by Microsoft's Visual Studio worked well only in a Windows environment.
There was of course Mono, but the interface was not as intuitive.

I discovered by chance the Pascal Lazarus and the miracle, a development environment that works without too much change on Windows, Mac and Linux, happiness.

At the beginning, this link help me a lot:

https://wiki.freepascal.org/Pascal_for_CSharp_users

Have a good day.

Bogen85:

--- Quote from: Dzandaa on February 06, 2023, 12:42:39 pm ---At the beginning, this link help me a lot:

https://wiki.freepascal.org/Pascal_for_CSharp_users

--- End quote ---

That should be updated for what it says the equivalent of return is. It only has function_name := and result :=, but does not show that neither of those returns immediately (that either a flow rework or exit would be required).

Thaddy:
It should is now also be updated for multi-platform support: Mono! , (which I use quite a lot on nixes) well maintained too. So "was" is an unfortunate phrasing.
So I removed that part. It was simply not true.

I am trying to rephrase it, so that it shows that FPC supports more platforms, then again, Mono C# is available on many exotica too. You can't really count and compare the two.

Thaddy:

--- Quote from: Bogen85 on February 06, 2023, 12:53:38 pm ---That should be updated for what it says the equivalent of return is. It only has function_name := and result :=, but does not show that neither of those returns immediately (that either a flow rework or exit would be required).

--- End quote ---
Return is also context sensitive and not equivalent to exit() in C# and closer to setting a result, either by function name or by result. So the entry is correct.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version