Recent

Author Topic: is there a "Lazarus.ini"?  (Read 5390 times)

balazsszekely

Re: is there a "Lazarus.ini"?
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2023, 01:14:54 pm »
@Nicole
You are aware, that this is much more work, than setting the options again in a new installation?
Much more work? No more then 30- 60 seconds, if you are using the right tools like WinMerge.
1. After everything is set up in your current installation, just backup the xml files from: c:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\lazarus\ to a separate directory
2. After a reinstall, compare the two directories with WinMerge to see which config files has changed
3. Double click the changed files, then use the Copy and Advance feature to sync the two files
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 01:19:09 pm by GetMem »

Nicole

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2023, 04:50:46 pm »
30 seconds are really few.

So it does not take more time, than writing this post, right?
It would be great, if you can do this for me and tell me the correct file-name.
Thanks.

balazsszekely

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2023, 06:21:48 pm »
30 seconds are really few.

So it does not take more time, than writing this post, right?
It would be great, if you can do this for me and tell me the correct file-name.
Thanks.
I'm under the impression that you don't believe me.  :) Anyways I did the following:
1. Backup config files to d:\aaaa\
2. Open Lazarus
3. Options->CoodTools->General-> Checked "Jump directly to method body"(see config1.png)
4. Close Lazarus
5. Drag drop the two directories inside WinMerge(see config2.png)
6. After pressing OK, WinMerge indicates that Codetools.xml has changed(see config3.png)
7. Double clicking Codetools.xml reveals the difference(see config4.png)

It really didn't take longer then 1 minute and you can do the same for other settings. but remember you cannot overwrite configuration files(old installation->new installation), because they might contain absolute paths. You have to merge them otherwise you may corrupt your new installation.

Nicole

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2023, 06:50:45 pm »
Thank you for doing this.

Never the less, you have only proven, that the file changes, if you open and close the IDE / change the options.
But you have not proven, that this file contains the options, - what it evidently does NOT.

balazsszekely

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2023, 07:05:38 pm »
Thank you for doing this.

Never the less, you have only proven, that the file changes, if you open and close the IDE / change the options.
But you have not proven, that this file contains the options, - what it evidently does NOT.
You're welcome!
It was already mentioned in one of the previous posts that default values are not saved. This is an xml feature to preserve disk space. For the "JumpToMethodBody" node, the default value is false and if it's missing from the configuration file you can be certain that is false. Anyways to restore configuration settings from an old lazarus to a new one, all the above is irrelevant. You will check for differences, if JumpToMethodBody is missing from both files then you don't have to do anything, if it's present in the old config file but missing from the new one you have to do a simple merge.
Of course it would be nice to have an Export/Import settings feature, but believe me there are far more important things to implement currently. You can give it a try if you like, I promise I will help.

Nicole

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2023, 07:42:21 pm »
The problem is: The value is TRUE and not the default-one.
Never the less, we cannot see it.
We should, shouldn't we?

About the try: I would want to, but I am afraid, this is far from my ability.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2023, 07:49:52 pm »
We should, shouldn't we?

If you mean, it is not present in YOUR config, then maybe your config is stored in a non-default location?

The config is in the primary-config-path. And it is stored in several xml files.

Linux: ~/.lazarus
Win: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\lazarus

If non-default: Menu: View > Ide Internals > About Ide

Nicole

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2023, 07:55:36 pm »
I mean, there is no file by this name on my HD containing it, because I did not go into the configuration, but used a search tool to grab the the file by name.

dseligo

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2023, 08:37:50 pm »
We should, shouldn't we?

About the try: I would want to, but I am afraid, this is far from my ability.

If you don't install Lazarus every few days, I suggest you make a list of your changes, go through list and set up Lazarus manually.
I do it like that, it takes less than 10 minutes. And this gives me a chance to browse settings and see if there are some new interesting options in new version.

E.g. this is my list (it is autotranslated from my language with Google translate, so there could be errors):
Code: Text  [Select][+][-]
  1. - in IDE options/Environment/Files, I set it to remember the last 10-15 projects
  2. - in IDE options/Environment/Window I include all three that start with IDE title
  3. - in IDE options/Editor/Completion and Hints, I turn on 'Auto remove emty methods' and reduce the delay for hints (0.1-0.2s)
  4. - Editor/Key Mappings:
  5.    Remove these (the fastest way to search is by typing "Ctrl+Alt+" in search and then qwfgvbn:
  6.      - Ctrl Alt V (@) - View Debuger Event Log
  7.      - Ctrl Alt W (|) - View Watches
  8.      - Ctrl Alt F ([) - Toggle view Search Results
  9.      - also check G, N, Q
  10.      - Ctrl Alt B ({) - View Breakpoints
  11.    - change Toggle Comment in Selection to Ctrl + /
  12.    - add to Undo (Ctrl + Z) - Alt + Backspace
  13.    - in 'Toggle view Search Results' I put the button to the left of 1
  14.    - in 'Toggle view Messages' I put Shift+key to the left of 1
  15. - in IDE options/Environment/Form Editor I turn on 'Ask name on create' and 'Switch to Object Inspector Favorites Tab'
  16. - in IDE options/Editor/General turn off 'Half Page Scroll'
  17. - in IDE options/Editor/General/Tab and Indent under Comments and Strings in String I include 'Extend strings on linebreak'
  18. - in IDE options/Editor/Display I set 'Visible right margin' to 100 because I have slightly longer lines.
  19. - in IDE options/Codetools/Line Splitting I put 'Max. line length' to 100 - here completion wraps
  20. - in IDE options/Editor/Display/Colors in 'Brackets highlight' I turn on 'Background', change to 'Highlight' and set Alpha to 120
  21. - in IDE options/Codetools/Space, I include 'Symbol' in two places (at Insert space in front of and at Insert space after)
  22. - in IDE options/Editor/Display/Markup and Matches, I include If/then/else, For/do, While/do, With/do - if it annoys me, I can turn it off
  23. - in IDE options/Editor/Display/Markup and Matches, turn on Outline (global) - in Procedure and Begin/End (procedures) below, turn off Outline
  24. - in IDE options/Editor/Divider Drawing, I can set it if I want it to highlight the beginnings/ends of the blocks more, I haven't touched it yet
  25. - in IDE options/Editor/Code Folding you can include additional blocks that can fold (case, try, repeat, ...)
  26. - in IDE options/Code Tools there are interesting things, e.g. turn on 'Jump directly to method body'
  27. - in IDE options/Environment/Component Palette, I set the sequence
  28. - in IDE options/Editor/Display/Colors I created my color scheme - I have it in this directory: lazarus_schema_boja.xml
  29.    - I create the directory userschemes in the configuration (c:\users\damir\appdata\lazarus or e.g. c:\lazarus224\config), inside I copy the color scheme and then I will be able to choose

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2023, 08:43:04 pm »
I mean, there is no file by this name on my HD containing it, because I did not go into the configuration, but used a search tool to grab the the file by name.
Afaik "AppData" is a hidden folder. So maybe it wasn't searched.

Nicole

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2023, 07:01:24 pm »
my search doesn't care about what windows wants to hide.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018