Forum > Other

questions, to begin with

<< < (2/5) > >>

Martin_fr:

--- Quote from: Bogen85 on January 21, 2023, 12:05:50 am ---
--- Quote from: KodeZwerg on January 21, 2023, 12:01:12 am ---Please not laugh I show in attachment my "answer this to join forum"-quiz.
While it looked for me as a math question, ofc I failed that test. I entered 3 since I was thinking the quiz wants to hear from me "what is 9 - 6"  :'(
The way of how it's written was confusing me...

--- End quote ---

Nine - up side down (9 implied, so 6)... good one...

Your answer of 3 was logical...

--- End quote ---

I am still trying to figure from what in that sentence a subtraction is derived. Besides, that particular question has long been retired.

--- Quote from: dseligo on January 21, 2023, 03:12:28 am ---
--- Quote from: Kays on January 20, 2023, 11:05:40 pm ---Beside the standard decipher-letters-captcha I get, for example
* In the proverb, what does the pot call the kettle? (Hint: Answer is a color):
* Who travels in a tardis? The ______ (6 letters):
* One .... to rule them all?:I seriously do not know any answer. No wonder Pascal users are in decline; if it’s too difficult to join the forum.

--- End quote ---

Some more questions:

--- Code: Text  [+][-]window.onload = function(){var x1 = document.getElementById("main_content_section"); if (x1) { var x = document.getElementsByClassName("geshi");for (var i = 0; i < x.length; i++) { x[i].style.maxHeight='none'; x[i].style.height = Math.min(x[i].clientHeight+15,306)+'px'; x[i].style.resize = "vertical";}};} ---Author of the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy? _______ _____:The shard is a building in which metropoly?:According to legend, which city was not build in a day?:First name of the artist, who painted the Mona Lisa?:
I'd say that some people quit registration because of this questions.

--- End quote ---

Well (until the recent advent of AI chatbots....) those question where (somewhat) effective, in that apparently spam bot maintainers had to look them up manually. And when they started their attack => new set of questions, wait, next attack, next set, couple of iterations at max.
It doesn't stop human spammers. But then by the very definition no captcha does.

You can drop them in google, and based on the given hint, the answer can be clearly identified.
Yes it is a bit of work (it is a bit of work too, to come up with them)

Any math/logic stuff (even like the 9 upside down) is easier for bots, and harder for humans.
Also math/logic/... require a good understanding of the English description, while pasting the question to Google does not.

At the moment you have to answer for registration and your first post (the latter is annoying, I know, it be nice to just to the "scrambled text", but no setting for that).
At times of high spam attacks, you may have to do it for more than one post...

Feel free to PM me, if you have alternative ideas.

rvk:

--- Quote from: Martin_fr on January 21, 2023, 11:06:45 am ---
--- Quote from: Bogen85 on January 21, 2023, 12:05:50 am ---Nine - up side down (9 implied, so 6)... good one...

--- End quote ---
I am still trying to figure from what in that sentence a subtraction is derived.

--- End quote ---
By the substraction sign " - ".

The question could have been just this (no need for the "-").
"Nine up side down"

Also, the same kind of captcha is often used with addition and substration so I understand the confusion.

Martin_fr:

--- Quote from: Scoops on January 21, 2023, 03:24:34 am ---They are questions that the average male of around 55 can answer.

--- End quote ---

Well they are Europe / maybe U.S.
I don't know much trivia from other regions.

The point is, that Google will have the answer within the quotes of the search result. And it should be easy to pick them.

Martin_fr:

--- Quote from: rvk on January 21, 2023, 11:13:44 am ---
--- Quote from: Martin_fr on January 21, 2023, 11:06:45 am ---
--- Quote from: Bogen85 on January 21, 2023, 12:05:50 am ---Nine - up side down (9 implied, so 6)... good one...

--- End quote ---
I am still trying to figure from what in that sentence a subtraction is derived.

--- End quote ---
By the substraction sign " - ".

--- End quote ---

Ouch, ok. It was a dash, but of course that is the same.

dbannon:
The trouble is that any question widely know will be easily Googled for. And the AIs will google.

I was thinking of showing a new user an image of some Pascal code with an error ?  The question is, "which line has the error" ?  Images of, say 10 lines of code, two sequential tests, hmm, 1 in a 100 get through on pure chance. Four tests ? i in 10,000 ?

And such a test would exclude real beginners.

Hmm, its a hard problem. I think the best thing is a personal interview. We will fly Martin_fr to where ever the new user is, they go out and have a meal, at the end of the meal, Martin will probably be reasonably sure as to whether the person is a human or not.

Davo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version