Forum > Other OS

Status of Z80 cross compiler?

(1/4) > >>

Wysardry:
Can anyone point me to documentation on the current status of the Z80 cross compiler and what the roadmap might be?

The Z80 wiki page doesn't have much info on it yet.

I'm particularly interested in knowing which compile modes it supports (and will support), whether compiled programs will be able to read and write to files on tape and disk, and what would be involved in adding new platforms.

PascalDragon:

--- Quote from: Wysardry on December 20, 2022, 08:18:57 pm ---I'm particularly interested in knowing which compile modes it supports (and will support),
--- End quote ---

All compile modes are supported, however not all units might be as they might be larger than what the system supports (e.g. the SysUtils unit is not compiled by default for the supported Z80 platforms, because it's larger than 64k).

--- Quote from: Wysardry on December 20, 2022, 08:18:57 pm ---whether compiled programs will be able to read and write to files on tape and disk
--- End quote ---

That depends upon the RTL support. At least for MSX-DOS reading/writing files is supported.

--- Quote from: Wysardry on December 20, 2022, 08:18:57 pm ---, and what would be involved in adding new platforms.

--- End quote ---

Check the commits that added MSX-DOS support then you know essentially what needs to be done.

Wysardry:
Thanks. Do you happen to know if everything I would need (on Windows) can be installed and set up with fpcupdeluxe or would I need to do it manually?

I noticed on the FP site that Z80 support is now in trunk.

PascalDragon:

--- Quote from: Wysardry on December 21, 2022, 09:15:45 pm ---Thanks. Do you happen to know if everything I would need (on Windows) can be installed and set up with fpcupdeluxe or would I need to do it manually?
--- End quote ---

I don't know if fpcupdeluxe provides anything for Z80. I personally only set up my environments manually.

Wysardry:
Thanks. I'll look into what's involved with that.

Is there any advantage to installing Lazarus for this particular project? Would it add anything useful, or just make the process more complicated than it needs to be.

I was considering using a simpler editor, such as Geany or CudaText.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version