Recent

Author Topic: What do you think about Modula-3?  (Read 797 times)

3oheicrw

What do you think about Modula-3?
« on: December 08, 2022, 04:33:59 am »
As GNU Modula-2 is going to be merged into GCC 13. I suddenly think about Modula-3:

https://github.com/modula3/cm3

Modula-3 is an advanced language with OOP and generics. They added enough features to Modula-2 to make it useful for practicle uses. My problem with Modula-3 is I disagree with the design, to be clear it's the way how it handles generics. It has a built-in build system (Quake) and you have to "specialize" your generic types using this build system before able to use them. My opinion is you should be able to do this only in the language, no build system is needed!

https://github.com/modula3/cm3/issues/1074

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: What do you think about Modula-3?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 04:49:14 am »
Not into any Modula, not -2, certainly not -3. I'm a more Wirthian purists that target simplicity without sacrificing functionality. Therefore, I'm more towards Oberon (-07 is crazy but crazy in a good way) design instead of Modula. Or in more mainstream world, Go would by my choice (the only C-ism in the language is in the syntax, everything else it's more Oberon than anything else).

iahung

Re: What do you think about Modula-3?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 08:05:45 am »
Not into any Modula, not -2, certainly not -3. I'm a more Wirthian purists that target simplicity without sacrificing functionality. Therefore, I'm more towards Oberon (-07 is crazy but crazy in a good way) design instead of Modula. Or in more mainstream world, Go would by my choice (the only C-ism in the language is in the syntax, everything else it's more Oberon than anything else).

Wirthian languages are so useless that they can't get anywhere further than the academy. The Pascal language you are enjoying is not Wirthian Pascal but Borland's Object Pascal. Ever wonder why most programming languages developed by academy are failed and the ones currently being used are developed by companies? Because companies know what they need, unlike these clueless professors that know nothing but theories.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018